Fossil Ridge 2024 Lip Dub has been rescheduled

The date of the Fossil Ridge Lip Dub has been changed from Thursday, April 18 to Friday, April 26 due to the unofficial event, senior ditch day. The decision was made on Monday, April 1 after an administrative meeting.

Administration worked with Leadership by Design to schedule the event which was originally on April 18. As April approached, staff started to contact administrators and Leadership by Design teachers, Brendan Gallagher and Kristyn Degi, about rumors of senior ditch day being on April 18. Brad Nye, assistant principal and activities director,  brought this concern to the attention of other administrative staff in their meeting and they decided it was best to move the event to April 26. 

According to Nye and Gallagher, Lip Dub is meant to be a school-wide event that includes everyone for a unifying experience and it would lose some of its meaning if most of the seniors were missing. Senior ditch day is not a school sanctioned event, but they acknowledge that many seniors take advantage of it no matter what is happening that day. 

“Even when we initially set that week, it was problematic,” said Gallagher. 

The week was already filled with disruptions. Monday is a normal day of school, Tuesday juniors will take the SAT and freshmen will take the PSAT, Wednesday sophomores will take the PSAT and juniors who do not opt out will take the CMAS test, and on Thursday, the day of the original Lip Dub, there are parent-teacher conferences. 

“So a lot going on that day. . . then we found out it was senior ditch day and more than that being the main reason I would say that was the last straw,” said Gallagher when asked about his reasoning for wanting the event to be rescheduled.

Gallagher said that the rescheduling will be a positive experience because it will give students in Leadership by Design and TV and Film more time to prepare for the event. It will also provide a better opportunity to involve everyone in this special event