Cole shreddin the gnar in Copper Mountain, Colo.
Cole “shreddin’ the gnar” in Copper Mountain, Colo.

Two planks or one?

Two planks or one?

It’s an age old argument: Which is better, skiing or snowboarding? Skiers claim they are old school, as snowboarding was only invented in the 1920’s, but skis have been in use since the middle of the 18th century by hunters, trappers and even warriors in Sweden, according to http://www.snowboardinghistory.com/ and https://skiinghistory.org/ respectively. Who could even deny that a Swedish army on skis would be cool? Yet snowboarding is newer, and thus snowboarders claim to be more “hip.” When an argument is involved, it is important to get opinions from both sides.

Mitch Hoog, a sophomore at Fossil Ridge High School, began skiing at age 3 (because his mom made him) and then switched to snowboarding at 6 years old, inspired by his older brother. He’s come so far since then, and next semester Hoog is going to switch between living in Steamboat and Breckenridge in order to compete, train, and further pursue his passion for snowboarding.

“I like the atmosphere of snowboarding. It’s all you, you’re on the main stage and nothing else matters,” said Hoog. Once he is old enough to get a contract, Hoog hopes to make a career out of the sport. Hoog said that snowboarding has connected with him so well because “it has always been my way to escape.”

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Cole Glaser has been skiing since he was 3 years old and never stopped. Glaser began ski racing when he was just 10 and placed 13th in the 2011 Nastar National Championships at 13 years old. He was a natural and never took a single lesson, because his father, Joe Glaser, taught him everything he needed to know, Glaser said.

Unfortunately, Cole tore his meniscus at the end of eighth grade and his racing career ended abruptly. Ski racing was too hard on his knees, but once the injury healed (after two surgeries and another tear), he traded in his skinny racing skis for fatter ones better suited for skiing the bowls and back country. Though he no longer races, the sport is still a huge part of his life. “I love the freedom that skiing gives me. When you’re out there, you can go wherever you want to go, do whatever you want to do, be whoever you want to be.” Glaser said.

Though skiers and snowboarders are always arguing that their sport is “better,” both groups of people can usually say the same things about the sport they love. “Skiing is really hard to explain, it just gives you a feeling of greatness,” Cole said. Mitch also agrees that snowboarding is his way to escape stress from school and everyday life. It is obvious that whether one identifies as a skier or snowboarder, both sports are enjoyable for the athlete. Maybe skiing and snowboarding aren’t so different after all.