Science Olympiad dominates regionals

Science Olympiad dominates regionals

[slideshow_deploy id=’18058′]

Fossil Ridge High School’s Science Olympiad team won their regional competition with the top two teams taking first and second place, respectively, Team 3 in fifth place, Team 4 in seventh place, and Team 5 in eighteenth place. Twenty-five total teams from a variety of different schools across Northern Colorado competed in the event Saturday, March 4, at Preston Middle School. At Science Olympiad competitions, students showcase their knowledge on topics in the fields of anatomy and physiology, chemistry (at the AP level), ecology, astronomy, and more through timed tests or labs, or by building certain objects, such as hovercrafts.

Science Olympiad is a great place to learn for students who want to pursue a career in science, or those who are simply looking to expand their knowledge and interest in a specific area. It can really help students in and outside of the classroom. “I enjoy Science Olympiad because it pushes me and I’ve made a lot of great friends,” said sophomore Gracie Finnegan.

Due to the great success Fossil’s teams had, they get to take four teams to the state competition compared to the three teams they took last year. “I think that all five of Fossil’s teams did really well at regionals, especially since at least one Fossil team medaled in each event,” said Chelsea Wang, a junior on Team 1.

Fossil’s first team took home 14 first place, 5 second place, and one third place medal. Team 2 received 7 second place medals and 9 third place medals, Team 3 had 3 second place and 2 third place medals, and Team four received one first and one second place medal. Science Olympiad members stay after school multiple days a week to work on their events. Wang said, “Everyone put in a lot of work the weeks before regionals so it was really nice to see that pay off.”

The team hopes to have a repeat performance of their state competition last year, in which they placed first, third, and fourth. If the team wins at state, it will be their third state title in four years. The state competition is on Saturday, April 15 and will take place at the Colorado School of Mines. If Fossil’s teams do well, they will have the opportunity to continue on to the nationals competition, which is located in Dayton, Ohio this year.

Fossil’s entire Science Olympiad team. Photo Credit: Allison Long