Humans of Fossil: Audrey Larson

Humans of Fossil: Audrey Larson

Artsy, adventurous, and creative are just some adjectives to describe senior, Audrey Larson. She was raised in a well-rounded family and have been blessed with everything they have done for her. They have taught her to be myself, how to respect those around her, how to love, and what love looks like. Faith is what has truly formed Larson as a person. She is involved in a few different youth groups that have helped her grow so much as a person and truly transformed the way her life is and will be in the future.

Audrey Larson's senior photo. Photo provided by Audrey Larson
Audrey Larson’s senior photo. Photo provided by Audrey Larson

Larson grew up in the small town of Hastings, Mississippi where everyone knew everyone. The winters were cold but the summers were beautiful. “My favorite childhood memories revolved around summer whether it was having neighborhood barbeques or parking our boats on the beach along the Mississippi River while having corn-hole competitions.” Corn-hole competitions is an American lawn game which players take turns throwing bags of corn at a raised platform with a hole in the far end. Cornhole was a great way for the Larson family to get together and enjoy each other’s company. Larson lived there for ten years and moved to Colorado in middle school. “I have never had a hard time adjusting to things so moving here was just another adventure, plus I was fortunate to go to school with my cousin so having her my first day of school was a blessing.” She went to Kinard Middle School and got involved in Kinard C.A.R.E.S where she went on an environmental trip to Catalina Island.  

Greek colorful houses. Photo provided by Audrey Larson

Larson’s obsession with culture and adventure has led her to travel to some beautiful countries. Her first out of the country trip was during her sophomore year when she went to Peru with the spanish department. The trip to Peru is what sparked her obsession which made her want to save her money to travel somewhere else that is rich with culture. So during the summer of 2015, her and her mother traveled to Greece where they spent four days in Athens and four days in Crete. “The architecture was unbelievable and I got to see all the colorful houses and stores that look like they were taken out of a perfect story book.”

Greece. Photo provided by Audrey Larson
Greece. Photo provided by Audrey Larson

With a mother as an artist, Larson was naturally drawn to the art field. However, when she started finding her own artistic abilities it was a release for her. “It allows me to challenge myself and push through different walls that other subjects don’t let me do. I am able to interpret a feeling or emotion and portray it through a painting which I think is so powerful.” Everyone has their own style, literally not one artist is the same, and that is what makes art so attractive to Larson. “We all have our own story to tell and to me that’s much more impactful and personal than your other subjects.” Larson is well-known in the art department here at Fossil, it’s not uncommon to see her artwork hanging in the hallways or see her working on a masterpiece in an art classroom. “The art department has always been my ‘safe haven’ in the school because of the way everyone treats each other and how welcoming they are.” Even though Larson is more invested in painting and drawing, she also loves photography. She enjoys having people as her focused subjects and the different emotions, postures, expressions, and interests they have. Just by focusing on a single part of the body, you can tell how they are feeling and to Larson that’s the most interesting part about it.

Audrey Larson's artwork. Photo provided by Audrey Larson
Audrey Larson’s artwork. Photo provided by Audrey Larson

Larson is nearing the end of her high school career and has the next couple years of her life planned out. She got accepted into CSU and as of now is planning on getting a major in Art and Design. “I have deferred my first year because I am going to Italy through the Rotary Club for 10 months. I will be staying with 3 different host families and will be staying in Milan.” Larson hopes for there to be more exciting adventures to come and continue doing the things she loves.