When soccer runs somebodys life

When soccer runs somebody’s life

remi4
Clarke playing on the Fossil Varsity team in 2015. Photo Credit: Remi Clarke

Remi Clarke’s life is led by one thing and one thing only: Soccer. A sophomore at Fossil Ridge High School, she has been passionate about this sport for almost her entire life and her love for it is not about to stop.

Clarke started playing when she was 3 years old. Her parents let her try every activity she wanted, but the fact that her father (Shannon Clarke, the soccer coach at Fossil) was really into soccer influenced her decision in choosing the sport. She then fell in love with the activity quickly mainly because she liked being good at something. Clarke has also always enjoyed the competitive aspect of soccer.

Clarke played with a team in Fort Collins called Arsenal until a few years ago. She made the best team when she first tried out for a club in Denver and currently plays with the Colorado Rush. She has also been on the Fossil Varsity team for two years.

remi5
Clarke playing against Fort Collins High School on Fossil’s Varsity team in 2016. Photo Credit: Remi Clarke

Many people have been criticizing her, saying that she only made Varsity because her father is the head coach. Clarke does not care about it and just lets it go. Clarke stated, “It is not the case, my dad is harder on me than on other people and he did not make the decision of having me on the team.” She also feels like she is on Varsity because she deserves it and would not want to play with Fossil if it wasn’t the case. “I’ve worked hard to get where I am today,” Clarke adds, “I am not taking things for granted.”

This soccer player already has plans for her future career and would like to keep running on the field in college. She is in fact looking at the University of Denver and a couple schools in Texas, which is her favorite state because of its weather, people, culture, and food. Some schools have started recruiting her at the beginning of this year and she, “Cannot wait to see what’s to come.”

Clarke loves everything about soccer, “I like the challenge, the team, the history of it and how far it has come.” She enjoys learning new things and keeps practicing to become better and improve herself every day. The player indeed trains all year long and practises at every opportunity she gets. Soccer is a huge commitment and she admits that she does not do anything else expect playing and going to school. Clarke agrees on the idea that soccer runs her life, but she loves it more than anything else and doesn’t mind giving up on other opportunities to follow her passion.