Midfielder, Grant Martinez slide tackles opponent. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Boys Varsity soccer kicks off their season

Saturday, August 27 was the opening game for Fossil Ridge High School boys soccer. From the first blow of the whistle the Sabercats were fired up and determined to begin the season with a win. With intense pressure and hard work from the offense, Jamie Chavarria scores Fossil’s first goal of the season, 8 minutes into the first half. Looking to redeem themselves, Cheyenne Mountain High School attacked with speed and creative combination plays to tie the game 1-1 with 31 minutes left in the first half. Cheyenne Mountain continued to attack with high intensity causing goalkeeper, Jake Witbeck, to make impressive saves.

Keeper, Logan Wette punches away the ball off a corner kick. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

After playing the full 40 minutes in the first half and a tied score, the teams took the field once again for the second half. 30 seconds into the second half, Cheyenne Mountain scores, putting them ahead 1-2. With the Sabercats down one goal, they began to be physical which resulted in a yellow card for James Folkested and another yellow card for Taylor Trujillo. As the minutes counted down, Fossil worked hard defensively against Cheyenne Mountain’s offensive pressure. With 14:41 left in the game goalkeeper Logan Wette fouls in the box resulting in a PK. However, with Wette’s ability to move side to side quickly, the PK was stopped keeping the score 1-2.Unfortunately the boys were not able to score and tie the game so the first game of the season ends in a 1-2 loss against Cheyenne Mountain.

$100
$1000