Varsity soccer shuts out Loveland

Varsity soccer shuts out Loveland

An early goal from Fossil Ridge High School’s varsity boys soccer team against Loveland High School was just enough for the team to win the first game on their home turf. Following a rewarding, away win at Monarch High School on Thursday, September 8, the Sabercats were determined to continue their winning streak.

Forward, Blair Durand goes up for a header off a cross. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Fossil went into the game with confidence that they will blow Loveland out of the water as they did the previous year. The Sabercats proved themselves by scoring in the first 5 minutes of the game, goal by junior, Blair Durand. “I passed the ball to Grant Martinez in the 18, then made a an overlapping run around him where he played me again. I then shot the ball far post, past the diving keeper.”

After scoring their goal, the Sabercats continued to dominate the possession and create multiple scoring chances, however, they were unable to capitalize on any of them. Execution was Fossil’s biggest struggle of the game, they were not able to finish any dangerous corner kicks or dangerous transitions.

Keeper, Jake Witbeck takes a goal kick after a counter attack from Loveland. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

In the second half the score was still 1-0 in favor of the Sabercats. Determined to tie the game, Loveland applied intense pressure on Fossil’s defensive line but still resulted to look to play the long balls, hoping the defensive line made a mistake. With Jake Witbeck in goal, the team was able to keep the game a shutout.

Continuous hard work and effort from the home team resulted in win of 1-0. Hoping to go 2-0 for the week, the boys are excited for the crosstown rival game against Poudre on Thursday, September 15 at Fossil’s home turf.