Soccer wins their first crosstown rival game of the season

Thursday, September 15 marked the night of the first crosstown rival game of the season for Fossil Ridge High School’s boys varsity soccer team. The Sabercats took their home turf against Poudre High School in hopes to begin a winning streak against the crosstown teams.

Taylor Trujillo takes a touch out of the air. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The boys were fired up and that was apparent in the beginning minutes of the game. 7:27 into the game Taylor Trujillo scored the first goal putting the Sabercats in the lead 1-0. To defend their lead, the Fossil defensive back line broke down the Impalas’ offensive intensity with a big save by Reese Wilson after keeper, Logan Wette went out of the box.

Fossil held the 1-0 lead over Poudre at halftime.

Grant Martinez looks up with the ball at his feet in search for a teammate. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The Impalas stepped back on the field at the end of halftime with a lot of intensity and determination to put themselves back into the game. 4 minutes into the second half Poudre put one away tying the game 1-1. Seconds after the goal by the Impalas, the Sabercats answered back with a header goal by Quincy Carlton off of a corner kick by Jaime Chavarria to put them in the lead 2-1. Fossil gained momentum after their second goal and continued to attack dangerously, keeping possession in Poudre’s defensive half. With 13:08 left in the game, the Sabercats scored another goal off a corner kick. Grant Martinez finished the corner kick by Chavarria with a side volley, burying the ball in the back of the net and pulling the team away 3-1. Minutes left in the game James Folkestad carried the ball down the sideline and found Tyler Hause in the box who one-time hit it into the upper corner of the goal. Fossil ended the night with a 4-1 final against Poudre pushing their record up to (3-2).

The Sabercats take on their next crosstown rival on Tuesday, September 20 against Rocky Mountain High School at Fossil’s home turf at 6:00. Come out and support the team.