Chavarria celebrates his goal with Martinez. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Soccer is on a roll with a 4 game winning streak

Tuesday night lights brought excitement to the Fossil Ridge High School soccer stadium. September 20 marked the date for the second crosstown rival game of the season against Rocky Mountain High School. The night ended with a 4-1 victory for the Sabercats.

Martinez looks up at the goal to see where to place his shot. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Seconds after the whistle blew, signalling the beginning of the game, Fossil scored their first goal, starting off the game with an early 1-0 lead. The goal was by Grant Martinez and the assist from Jaime Chavarria. The next 30 minutes in the first half consisted of Fossil keeping possession in Rocky’s defensive half. However, at the 30th minutes, the Sabercats fouled a Lobo forward resulting in a free kick in shooting range. Rocky capitalized on their offensive opportunity, finishing the free kick and tying the game 1-1. Going into halftime, the score stayed at a 1-1 tie.

Folkestad, Hause, Wilson, Carlton, and Durand line up to be substituted back into the game. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The Sabercats stepped back on the turf to take on the second half after head coach, Zach Speed got on them for allowing Rocky to tie up the game. Chavarria took the halftime talk by Speed to heart and stepped on the turf with the mindset to make something happen. 2 minutes into the second half, Martinez crossed a ball into the box where Chavarria took it down with a chest trap and volleyed it into the side netting, putting the Sabercats in the lead once again 2-1.

The ball was taken back to the center circle where the Lobos kicked off and lost possession within seconds when Chavarria came out from a tackle with the ball. He then carried the ball to the top of the 18 and hit a well struck shot, placing it in the bottom right corner of the goal. With 35 minutes left in the game, the Sabercats were in the lead 3-1.

Hause pushes opponent into pressure by Chavarria. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Fossil continued to keep possession of the ball in Rocky’s defensive half. With 30 minutes left in the game the Sabercats were given a corner kick. Chavarria served the ball into the box, a Rocky defender went up for a header to clear it but it ended up deflecting off him to Tyler Hause who finished it with a volley. Fossil finished the second half with a 4-1 win over Rocky, increasing their game winning streak to 4.