Fossil tennis team crushes at front range tournament

tennis-3

Tuesday, September 27 and Wednesday, September 28, Fossil Ridge High School’s tennis team participated in the Front Range League Tournament. The tournament consisted of 13 different schools from all around Colorado.

The first singles match was played by Jackson Holland. During the first round of the match, Holland faced off against Greeley West’s senior Drew Mendez. Holland went 6-0 against Mendez the first two sets, putting Holland into the second round. The next round had Holland play against Fort Collins High School’s junior, James Hunsinger. The first set resulted in a close score of 7-6 giving Holland a close victory. The second set was less dramatic giving Holland a second easy win 6-1.

During the second singles match. Arjun Gupta beat senior Tyler Harsch from Mountain Range High School 6-1 in the first set and 6-3 in the second set giving him a spot on the semi-finals. Gupta was challenged against Simon Lupo, senior from Bloomfield High School. The first set was a close shave for Gupta resulting in a 7-6 score for the first set. However, during the second set, Lupo beat Gupta 6-7. The final set resulted in Gupta getting an easy win 6-3. Gupta qualified for the finals in his section of the tournament. The finals was played against Fairview’s senior Ethan Schacht. Schacht beat Gupta in the first set 6-2, and 6-3 in the second set.

Arjun’s brother Akhil Gupta also made it to the finals in his section of the matches. First, Gupta won against Mountain Range’s senior Devin Darnell 6-0 in both sets. Gupta went on to play against Everett Martin, junior from Boulder. The first set resulted in Gupta winning 6-2 in the first and 6-1 in the second. Gupta went on to play against Devin Harper, senior from Fairview in the finals. Gupta won against Harper 6-4 in the first set. Harper came back and won the second set 2-6. However, Gupta was determined and ultimately won against Harper 7-6 in a third set.

Tim Sunset and Charlie Johnson played against senior, Andre Dorsch and junior, Daniel Kang from Poudre High School. The first set resulted in Sunset and Johnson beating Kang and Dorsch 6-1 in the first set and 6-4 in the second. Sunset and Johnson stepped up to play juniors Hans Callanan and Will Enterline from Boulder High School. The semi-finals were played well resulting in Sunset and Johnson barely winning in the first set 7-5 and 7-6 in the second. Sunset and Johnson would end up losing against Fairview High School’s sophomores, Beck Chrisbens and Andy Wu, 7-5 in the first set, and 6-2 in the second set.

Drew Schneider and Evan Diehl went up against Rocky Mountain High School’s sophomore Trae Chudacoff and sophomore Ben Thompson. The match was an easy victory resulting in Diehl and Schneider winning 6-1 both sets. However, Diehl and Schneider lost against Mason Lewis, sophmore, and Mitchell Manwaring, junior from Broomfield High School. The first set gave Lewis and Manwaring a 6-4 win. However, Schneider and Diehl won the second set 4-6. The deciding factor ended the match with Broomfield taking the win giving them a score in the third set 6-2.

Aaron Hargis and Cameron Salz went against Boulder’s “3 Doubles Panthers” ending up with Hargis and Salz taking the first round 6-3 the first set and a shut out the second. Salz and Hargis went up against Monarch High School’s sophomores, Connor Reuter and Noah Messman. The first set gave Hargis and Salz a win of 6-3 and another shutout against Monarch their second set 6-0. Fairview’s juniors, Adam Chehadi and Brooks Savage won against Hargis and Salz during the third doubles finals. The score of the first set was 7-5 and the second was an easy win for Chehadi and Savage giving them a final 6-1 win.

Lastly, the finals doubles game was played by Fossil’s Brandon Krzyzkowski and Tyler Li. They played off against Horizon High School for their first match. They won 6-1 their first set and shutout Horizon the second. In their semi-finals, Krzyszkowski and Li played Broomfield High School’s senior, Andreas Episkopos and sophomore, Chris Strobel. Set one resulted in Fossil winning 6-4, the second set was also won by Fossil 6-2. Krzyzkowski and Li played against senior, Will Engelhardt and sophomore, Hall Humphrey from Fairview. Engelhardt and Humphrey picked up the final win of the tournament for Fairview, the first set resulted in Fairview winning 6-4, in the second, 6-3.

At the end of the day Fairview took the first place title, winning a total of 102 points. Fossil followed behind being second in the tournament with a final score of 69 points.

$100
$1000