Boys varsity soccer stands for the national anthem on senior night. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Cold and dreary senior night for boys soccer

The cold, dreary weather called for a dreary boys varsity soccer game on Thursday, October 6 for the Fossil Ridge High School senior night. The game against No. 6 Fairview High School marked one of the last home games for the 11 seniors on the team, so it was a very special night at Fossil’s stadium turf.

Despite the chilly weather, the Sabercats stepped out onto the pitch with quick pace and physical play. An early attack led to a scoring opportunity by Jaime Chavarria that went just wide of the frame. This goal scoring opportunity woke up the Fairview players and they answered back with a shot on goal that slipped out of the hand of keeper, Jake Whitbeck, and into the goal. Fairview took the lead 0-1 in the first 10 minutes of the game and held it going into halftime.

[slideshow_deploy id=’15589′]

At half, a ceremony for the seniors were held. Grant Martinez, Jaime Chavarria, Jake Whitbeck, Matthew Wilhelm, Jay Mandavilli, Blake Ferguson, Taylor Trujillo, Lucas Ray, Lucas Plese, and Dennis Malinin are the 11 seniors on the team. Each senior greeted their family members at the middle of the field. As they made their way to their family, their favorite soccer memory and their plans for after high school were said. After the ceremony, the team recomposed themselves and prepared to take the field again.

The second half begins and Fairview presses the gas pedal, going full force. They create several opportunities, testing keeper, Logan Wette. 20 minutes into the half, Fairview scores another goal, increasing their lead to 0-2. Within 5 minutes of Fairview’s goal, the Sabercats answer back. Grant Martinez scores a goal after following a shot taken by one of his teammates. Martinez put the Sabercats on the board, 1-2. With 10:20 left in the game Fairview scored another goal that ended the game with a final score of 1-3.

The boys are looking to make up for a devastating loss on senior night at their last home game of the season on Tuesday, October 18 against Mountain Range.