Sabercat Stories: Erik Sanford

Erik Sanford thinks intently. Photo credit: Milena Brown

Milena Brown

When the Cubs won the world series in 2016 Erik Sanford, English teacher, took two days off from school. “It was the first day off I had taken in ten years,” he said. Students who have taken his class know that Sanford strives for perfect attendance to class for his students and himself, so this was quite a shock for them. The Cubs winning was so meaningful to Sanford because his Dad’s side of the family is from Chicago. He said, “I was raised on the Cubs and called family members on the day they won the World Series.” With a reputation for being a hard-nosed teacher, students often go into his class intimidated and cautious. However, Sanford wants students to know that he wants them to be successful in his class and that the “rumors are worse than the reality.”

Sports in general have played an important and critical role in his life. It led to him becoming a coach, and even influenced his decision to become a teacher. Sanford describes the role of sports in his life as, “A big one. I was almost expelled from school. Sports helped me to focus my energies and gave me discipline and focus.” In high school he  played football, basketball, track, and baseball. Coaching sports, along with a suggestion from his high school counselor that he tutor elementary students during his senior year influenced him to become a teacher. Sanford said, “the two seemed to go together, and I was good at it.”  For twenty years Sanford coached basketball, baseball, and football. Although he is now retired, he still participates in sports as an avid fan.

The creative part of Sanford enjoys building things like yard games or “upcycling”. This hobby has led him to be called a “piddler” by his family. “I built a giant connect four out of stuff lying around the house,” he said. When not busy grading essays he loves creating things with stuff from around his house.

The nerdier, analytical side of Sanford loves to solve puzzle boxes in his free time. He enjoys the intellectual challenge they present and the satisfaction that comes with successfully solving a puzzle. As many of students may know, he doesn’t watch a lot of TV, but he does read. He favors British literature over American, but “As an English teacher the confession is that I read a lot of junk.” Sanford enjoys Jack Reacher’s novels and spy novels. He described this type of literature as “gravy” because they are easy and uncomplicated stories to read.  

As a teacher he pushes his students to think critically and analytically. He hopes that the students who come through his class leave with the realization that, “What they knew coming in was not enough, they gain more knowledge when they learn and know that they need to learn new things.”  He sees that not all students are prepared to hear what it takes to be successful and want to do it on their own. It’s his hope that every student he teaches leaves his classroom with the skills to continue learning new things throughout their life.