One last time: Fossil Marching Band wows audiences at Community Encore Performance

This performance served as the band's final for the year, and it was set up to allow the whole Fort Collins community to see the show.

Isabella Mahal

Isabella Mahal

Liam H. Flake, Bella Mahal, and Karen Manley

On Wednesday, November 7, the Fossil Ridge High School Marching Band, in reaction to its success at the Colorado Bandmasters’ Association state competition, hosted a Community Encore Performance at French Field from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The performance marked the end of the band’s 2018 season, for which they have been regularly practicing since August.

Sophomore Lindsey Puev adjusts a microphone in advance of the performance. "These things are annoying," she provided.

About the Contributors
Liam H. Flake, News Director

Liam Flake is a junior at Fossil Ridge High School with a passion for journalism, particularly travel journalism and investigative journalism. Flake’s goal in life is to make sure everyone’s voice is heard and to tell the stories that need to be told. He describes himself as intellectual, which carries into his favorite childhood memory, winning 3rd place in the school science fair in 4th grade. Outside of the school, Flake enjoys wood burning and stargazing but also has a super fun life in the school environment. Flake is involved in numerous clubs at Fossil Ridge High School including Unified Sports, Songwriter’s Guild, photography club, and his favorite, Journalism. Flake prefers classic rock and 80’s music, enjoys the movie The Artist, and loves the color gray, perfect for his 2007 gray Honda Pilot. Flake wishes to travel to Ireland one day to really dig deeper into the culture but also keeps in touch with local history and culture as well.

Karen Manley, Editor in Chief

Karen Manley, a senior, has been in the journalism program since her freshman year. She feels most at home when writing about Unified Sports and activities, mental health, and other topics that people may not pay enough attention too. This year, Karen will be Co-Editor in Chief. Her responsibilities include taking care of the class emotionally and making sure that the paper runs smoothly. Karen explains “I’ve wanted to be an Editor in Chief since I was a freshman here. I am very excited to execute some of my ideas.”

Karen was in born San Diego, California and moved to Fort Collins when she was 14 years old. She currently lives with her family, including her mom, dad, and Brother. She enjoys her friends’ company, being the Co-Historian for NHAS, taking AP courses including Studio Art, geocaching, going on bike rides, and playing board games.

As a senior, Karen knows that she wants to further her education after leaving Fossil Ridge High School. She hopes to attend either UNC or Eastern Washington University to study journalism. She may also want to take a gap year to serve in the Peace Corps. After she completes college, she hopes to have graduated with a degree in order to pursue war journalism. Karen would like to become a war journalist focused on the people living in war-torn areas to shed light on a problem rarely addressed.

Karen’s undeniable devotion to Etched in Stone can be seen clearly in her bubbly, kind, and sincere personality. She is excited to leave Fossil Ridge High School with a bang. Her dedication to Etched in Stone over the past three years has helped make the paper what it is today.