One last time: Fossil Marching Band wows audiences at Community Encore Performance

Back to Article
Back to Article

This performance served as the band's final for the year, and it was set up to allow the whole Fort Collins community to see the show.

Isabella Mahal

Isabella Mahal

Isabella Mahal

Liam H. Flake, Bella Mahal, and Karen Manley

On Wednesday, November 7, the Fossil Ridge High School Marching Band, in reaction to its success at the Colorado Bandmasters’ Association state competition, hosted a Community Encore Performance at French Field from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The performance marked the end of the band’s 2018 season, for which they have been regularly practicing since August.

• Sophomore Lindsey Puev adjusts a microphone in advance of the performance. "These things are annoying," she provided.

• Senior Drum Major Jessie Griffith prepares to conduct one final show.

• The band's show included a solo featuring saxophonist Will Sessions on a soprano saxophone.

• Color Guard often focuses on synchronized throws and coordinated catches. During the show, many eye catching displays come from the variety of flags and movement produced by Color Guard.

• During a trumpet solo, a portion of the woodwind section accompanied with low melodies.

• A student performs a trumpet solo mid-show. Solos were performed by a select few students during the show.

• Senior Sienna Morgan is a four year member of Color Guard, pictured here performing in her final high school field show.

• This year's show, entitled "Enlightenment", featured massive lightbulbs. They were a collaborative effort between multiple groups; for example, Fossil's technical program built the stands that held the lightbulbs in storage.

• The primary prop for this year's show was giant lightbulbs, which changed colors and served as points around which band members could perform various visual effects.

• Trombone player Haley Bruce explained that the band program purchased the blue and white tarp earlier in the season. Then, members of the color guard painted green over it to symbolize the earth.

• Everyone was all smiles after the performance, which marked the end of the band season. Band and color guard started practicing this summer, and have been doing so nearly every day after school since August.

• Director and student celebrate the close of a successful season.