Fossils+Gender+and+Sexuality+Alliance+works+on+building+a+safe+space+for+the+LGBTQ%2B+community+and+their+allies.+

Lizzy Camp

Fossil’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance works on building a safe space for the LGBTQ+ community and their allies.

GSA helps LGBTQ+ students and allies find community

Fossil Ridge High School’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) offers a safe space for members in the LGBTQ+ and their allies. The club meets every Tuesday at lunch in room E104. New members are always encouraged to attend. 

Currently, club members are participating in show-and-tell style presentations. Topics range from everything from queer characters in media to ukulele playing. Students are encouraged to come and share their interests and listen to those of others. The group is also planning their annual end of the year picnic for sometime in May. 

Forming a sense of community and safety is more important than ever to members of Fossil’s GSA, especially with the rise of anti-LGBTQ+ bills around the country. Bill’s like Florida’s “Parental Rights in Education” bill, dubbed the “Don’t Say Gay” bill in many activists groups, and Texas’s restrictive anti-trans laws

Fossil’s GSA also works with members of the district to improve and protect LGBTQ+ students in Poudre School District. This includes meeting with district professionals and advocating for the importance of events like LGBTQ+ history month, which happens in October. 

Students hope that GSA can be a safe and inclusive space to share feelings of joy, anxiousness, sadness, and euphoria. “Our mission is to work towards a more inclusive environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity,” says the GSA feature on Fossil’s club page.

Etched in Stone • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$100
$1000