What does it take to plan prom?

Each spring, juniors and seniors across in high schools across the nations get dolled up to one of the most looked forward to event of the school year: prom. While students are dancing the night away, its highly probable that no student is thinking of the months of planning that went on to put on this event.

Beginning to plan an entire year before the actual event, Student Council (StuCo) junior class officers have always taken on the project of prom at Fossil Ridge High School. “Technically, [prom] is not a StuCo event but we’ve always taken it on,” said StuCo President, senior Lorena Martinez.

Planning includes location and date. As FRHS is such a large school, there are only two spaces available to accommodate such a large student population: the Ranch at the Budweiser Event Center and the Embassy Suites Hotel. The date of prom is decided based on when these spaces are available, other events going on around FRHS, and the opinion of administration.

Although some decisions allow for administration and other staff members to weigh in, prom is primarily a student organized event. “Essentially, the students are the gas and the advisors are the brakes. They make sure the event is a success,” Martinez said.

One of the biggest parts of planning such a big event is taking into account budgeting. “In the fall the four class officers get together and make decisions based on practicality and whether it is in the budget,” Martinez said.

A good theme is often a difficult step in the process of planning a successful prom. As part of tradition, the theme is not released until a month before the date to “add suspense to the excitement,” Martinez said. When it comes to picking a theme, “we typically take ideas from homecomings and proms in the past,” Martinez said. “And from there, as a group of class officers, we decide which is best.”

While many students are appreciative of StuCo’s hard work and enjoy the event, there will always be those who have something bad to say. To this, Martinez said, “Of course it’s hard to hear but we take it all as constructive criticism to make prom better.”

While prom is ever changing, the purpose stays the same each year.  “It’s an event that is ultimately meant to celebrate the seniors,” Martinez said. “The most important part is ultimately catering to the needs of students.