J.P. Schippers organizes Relay for Life

J.P. Schippers organizes Relay for Life

By Kierra Vaughan and Maddie Koppenhofer

This year, Fossil Ridge High School junior J.P. Schippers has been involved in several big service projects. Earlier in the year, he donated over 4,000 backpacks to the homeless. Now, Schippers has another mission in mind.

With his latest event, Schippers has teamed with the FRHS Student Council, FCCLA and Diversity Leadership. “We are all putting on a cancer fundraiser team for Relay for Life,” Schippers said. “It’s the American Cancer Society’s biggest fundraiser.”

According to cancer.org, “The American Cancer Society Relay for Life is a life-changing event that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease.” The organization also supports research of cancer and takes patients to receive treatment.

Schippers wanted to get involved with this program because FRHS is the only high school in the district that isn’t involved in Relay for Life.  “I wanted to give back to Fossil and other people I have been mean to in the past,” Schippers said.

Anyone can donate money to the cause in the east and west wing offices or online at Windsor Relay for Life. Any FRHS student can sign up to help. Schippers, along with Fossil Ridge secretaries, are currently the only volunteers orchestrating these events.

There is also a fundraiser set on July 11 and 12 at FRHS with food and games, and Schippers will be running a booth here. If a person signs up to help, Schippers will provide everything they need to fundraise.

Fundamentally, Relay for Life is an overnight community fundraising walk where people camp out and members of different teams take turns walking or running. There are several other aspects that make the event unique, one being the Survivors Lap. “During the Survivors Lap, all cancer survivors at the event take the first lap celebrating their victory over cancer,” according to relayforlife.org. There is also the Luminaria Ceremony, which takes place after dark “so we can remember people we have lost to cancer, honor people who fought cancer in the past, and support those whose fight continues.”

For more information, contact J.P. Schippers.

Photo Creds: Bailey Gannett