Photo Credits: Gavin Montoya
Photo Credits: Gavin Montoya

Senior traditions on the verge of extinction

Photo Credits: Gavin Montoya
Photo Credits: Gavin Montoya

High school, a place where traditions are remembered and respected. Fossil Ridge High School has plenty of senior traditions, from having a senior parking lot, to having a so called “senior bench”. Fossil will see the rise and fall of class traditions as time progresses further. With that in mind, it gives the future classes an opportunity to evolve their own traditions and envision a brighter future for Fossil.

Although the “senior lot” is not recognized by the faculty at the school, many seniors and underclassmen describe the lot as a “senior only” area of parking. With the current population of the school in thought and the lack of parking spaces already, this specialized lot will be a thing of the past. “My brother was here three years ago, he respected the idea of the senior lot. Now it’s starting to lose it’s value,” explained senior Ryan Cronin. As time rolls on, the amount of students able to drive will also increase, due to the rising population for each class. This will lead to a lack of choice about where they park.

The “senior lot” is not the only thing that is a tradition here at Fossil. The “senior bench” is still well remembered by a handful of the senior class.

The bench in question is in the east locker bay,  just across from the vending machine occupying the corner of the bay. What many seniors don’t realize is that this specialized spot is starting to lose it’s importance among the class. More than half of students interviewed don’t see that spot as a “senior designated” area. With that in mind, the idea of having a upperclassmen bench will soon be long forgotten along with the once praised senior lot. “I feel that the senior bench is only used and valued by the same people every day,” replied senior Bailey Kovac.

However, keep in mind that traditions come and go as old students leave, and new ones pour through the doors. New traditions within the confines of the school will emerge as time progresses. “Who knows what will come from the underclassmen.” Fred Hays commented.

The tradition of attending sporting events, the tradition of having school spirit, these kinds of traditions will never be forgotten in the eyes of the future and current students.  Spanish educator Lorraine Archer explains her opinion on class tradition, “Every class will always try to express and influence their own beliefs to the other classes. Ideas flourish with every group that comes through the school.”

With the senior traditions on the verge of extinction, Archers comment suggests that inspiration for new traditions will come with new people.