NAHS gives to Empty Bowls

NAHS gives to Empty Bowls

image5
Mrs. Lemon’s sixth period art class. Photo Credit: Lauren Scott

On Thursday, December 1, the National Art Honors Society held its annual pottery throw down from 5pm to 8pm. There was a pretty high turnout of students, parents, faculty and little kids anxious to get their hands dirty. It was such a good turn out a few students had to go out for more food. Everything from pottery wheels to hand shaping bowls was made available for this event.  The primary creation was bowls which could be made using pottery wheels or formed around a bowl to act as a mold. These bowls are going to be given to a local auction and will be auctioned off and proceeds to go help the Larimer County Food Bank in their Empty Bowls fundraiser, which gives to hungry people in Fort Collins. People who attend the Empty Bowls fundraiser and auction will get to select a handmade bowl by local artists and pay to help the cause.  

image8
Mugs and bowls from pottery classes at Fossil. Photo Credit: Lauren Scott

After the clay is the shaped the way the artist wants it and has been painted, the pottery goes to the kiln to be fired and then glaze is applied to make it shine. “It was really fun and I didn’t expect it to be that much fun since I don’t normally like pottery that much. You got to see a lot of talent that you didn’t know the school had,” recounted sophomore, Karen Manly.

It was a great event for a great cause and the perfect opportunity to get creative. It is a unique fundraiser that is showing a promising future in Fossil’s culture.