Varsity cheer state competition

Varsity cheer state competition

cheerleadingNP-17
Photo Credit: tyler.paige photography

On Friday December 11, the Fossil Ridge High School varsity cheer team was at the Denver Coliseum competing in prelims for the finals state competition the following day.  Unfortunately, the team did not advance past the prelims so they were unable to compete in the finals.  But, overall they took 13th in state out of 37 teams.  

During the prelims, the team had trouble completing their routine because of previous injuries earlier on in the season.  “It was super hard to compete because we had so many injuries going on.  Everyone was hurting in some way but there were at least 3 girls seriously injured” said Bailey Coker a varsity captain.  

But with the early success of the cheer team, they were able to qualify for nationals early on in the season.  High school cheer nationals takes place in February in Disney World in Florida.  “Since state is over I think practice will be a lot more laid back and less intense for nationals. I think that once we are all healed and rested we are going to be able to compete better at nationals.  It’s just really awesome and fun to go to nationals so we are all really excited”  said Coker.

Other than preparing for nationals, the varsity and JV cheer teams will be cheering for basketball during the winter season.  They will continue to have practice each week so they can cheer on the school during games.