Little Ms. Know it all: A piece of advice

2nd column sillosette

Dear Little Ms. Know it all,

I’m a freshman and want to start getting involved in the school. I know that seniors are always saying the best thing you can do is get involved, but I don’t know what I want to get involved in. I feel like there are a lot of things that sound interesting, but I’m worried that the upperclassmen won’t like me because I’m a freshman. I wanted to try out for West Side Story, but I felt so out of place at the audition workshop that I chickened out. I also considered maybe trying a sport but all the girls are so close already from playing together. I don’t know what to do or how to put myself out there. Please help!

Wanting to get involved

Dear Wanting to get involved,

I know how you feel, wanting to put yourself out there, but not feeling totally confident that people will accept you. But, the seniors are completely right when they talk about getting involved! That is what high school is all about! There is nothing wrong with trying a little bit of everything. That is how you will find what you’re passionate about. As for the upperclassmen, don’t worry about it. They sometimes forget that they were once freshman too. They may seem super scary or intimidating or judgmental, but I promise they are all bark and no bite. If you want to learn what an upperclassman is like, start small. The greatest part about this year is the sister advisories, that is the best place to start  meeting upperclassmen. As for the clubs and sports, the best possible way to get involved is to jump in and that will help you meet people too. Just make sure you remember this feeling so that way when you are an upperclassman you can be the voice of wisdom for future freshman and pass it on.

Little Ms. Know it all