Theater Review: West Side Story

Theater Review: ‘West Side Story’

WSS-small-Poster-ImageArthur Laurents’s “West Side Story” is a sweet rendition of a modern day Romeo and Juliet set in a 1950’s urban jungle. The musical collaborative of some of the most renown talents in showbiz history: Mr. Laurents (book), Jerome Robbins (director and choreographer), Stephen Sondheim (lyrics), and Leonard Bernstein (score), has the audience gushing over the sexy bad-boy Puerto Rican Sharks, or the classy American Jets. West Side Story’s” youthful, adrenaline-stoked energy is what sets the tone, and drives the rhythms of the show.

In the production that opened on the night of April 7th at Fossil Ridge High School, the audience was met with a sense of danger and love’s bittersweet triumph that leapt from the stage. From the first tense encounter between the Sharks and Jets, to the lyrical dream ballet, viewers laughed and cried throughout the heartfelt journey. The sensual passion of the Sharks, clash with the jazzy angst of the Jets from the ethnic divide withholding the pipe dream of Tony and Maria’s happiness.

The choreography was a signature of the play. Intense and abrupt in some parts, yet supple and flowing in others. Even the fight choreography kept viewers excited and appalled. The performance was an outstanding emotional roller coaster. The play was made more palpable through the cast members. Each actor fit to the aura of his or her character right down from the talent to the looks.

For the most part, the production ran smoothly. Any glitches throughout the show were timely addressed by the theater technician
s which was quite impressive considering the crew to be wholly student run. Set and costume design were top notch, many stating it to be a “university level” production. Audiences were enthralled with surprising light elements and props, such as the cigarette and shotgun that seemed all too real. There was a cinematic flow to the scenes with the immersive staging allowing one scene to fold into the other. The set design was truly an open canvas portraying all of old New York on a single stage.

The adaptation of Romeo and Juliet elevates the tragic love story to new heights. The vibrant production gives new meaning to the sense of humanity in a precarious world. Fossil Ridge’s “West Side Story,” deserves more than a five-star rating and a standing ovation.

West_Side_001

Later viewings for ‘West Side Story’ will be held on April 9, April 15, and April 16 at 7:00pm. Be sure to purchase tickets in advance at www.Showtix4U.com. Students are $10, Adults are $12.

Featuring: Seleen Hubbert, Alejandra Ruiz, Alicia Ambrose, Brookin Johnson, Teagan Brown, Emma Davidson, David Flint, Paige Bernhoft, Ryan Wilke-Braun, Carter Paquette, Alec Larner, Ion O’Toole, Sean Wilke-Braun