Opinion: Colorado educators need our support

On April 27, 2018, teachers across Colorado marched on the state’s capital in Denver to raise awareness for educational funding. Photo Credits: Milena Brown

Editorial Board

As members of the Etched in Stone staff, we stand with our teachers in their fight for improved school funding. In the Quality Counts 2018 state report put on by Education Weekly, Colorado ranks 40th among states in the nation in terms of School Finance. As of February 2018, Colorado had the best economy within the United States, yet the state government continues to spend less than the national average on school funding.

Of course, one must ask the question: Why does education matter? In America, public schooling is the Great Equalizer. In theory, all kids enter and receive the same chance, the same shot at education and beyond. In practice, it is not as simple, but the idea remains: the public education system levels out the playing field and provides children, across the board, with a chance at a successful life. Therein lies the reason that education deserves our priority. The public school system, though flawed and imperfect, is the method by which American children are provided with the knowledge they need to go into the world as well informed and capable citizens. Quality education is a right, deserved by and owed to all children and individuals. A high school diploma opens doors for students, providing them with job opportunities that are more or less necessary to make one’s way in the world.

Besides this, there is the value of a teacher themselves. Teachers act, of course, as educators, but also mentors, leaders, and sometimes even parental figures in students’ lives. Teachers are a human element in a student’s education, providing direction and support amongst textbooks and calculators and smartboards. Teachers do this not for the pay of the position, but because of their concern and care for students.

The root of Colorado’s school funding woes lies in the legislature surrounding it. In 1992, Colorado passed the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights, or TABOR, as a method of restricting revenues for all levels of government. Under TABOR, any and all tax raises enacted must be approved by voter approval. While the amendment naturally lowered taxes, it also inhibited funding for governmental services – thus why it was suspended for a period of five years in 2005. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, “TABOR constitutional amendments severely limit states’ revenues and their ability to make prudent budget choices. Colorado, the only state to adopt the restrictive measure, has suffered a worsened business climate under TABOR and has failed to meet its education and public health commitments to its residents.” With TABOR in place, the state is found to be unable to raise the funds it needs to provide students with the education they deserve.

To truly put the issue of education into light, one must look at it in perspective. According to The National Center for Education Statistics, 2012-13 data, Colorado vs National Per Pupil Spending, Colorado is 50th in teacher wage competitiveness and 40th in per pupil spending. Despite our booming economy, our state falls behind almost all others in terms of educational funding. For a specific example, look at the figures for per pupil spending. $7,419 is Colorado’s average spending per student, which is 66% of the $11,222 for the 2013-2-014 school year that the nation spends spends. Compared to the rest of the nation, Colorado cannot financially keep up or meet expectations in the realm of education.

Students, teachers, parents, and citizens of Colorado, the time is now. We must give priority to public education, and we must value the teachers who provide us with everything they can. Education is fundamental to the society we live in, shaping the community we live in – it can no longer be set aside. We as citizens have an obligation to both our students and our teachers to make sure that they are provided for, given the supplies they need for a stable learning environment and, for teachers, the pay they need to support themselves. The method by which this is achieved is simple: either spending must be rerouted from other public funds, or TABOR must be modified, or even repealed. With the current system, public education cannot get the funding it needs.

All of us can contribute to this – voice your support for teachers and education, and if old enough, allow the matter to influence your votes in this year’s midterm elections. One prominent way that citizens can support educational funding is by supporting Ballot Initiative 93. With this legislation, a tax would be put into place on income above $150,000 and property taxes would be decreased. The funding from this would be available for public schools alone – not charter schools, and not private schools, and would be required to increase each year with inflation.