Fossil soccer dominates Horizon

Cade Peters shoots the ball

Cade Peters shoots the ball

Cade Peters shoots the ball

Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

On October 4, Fossil Ridge High School destroyed Horizon High School, with a final score of 7-0. Fossil looked calm and collected throughout the entire game. The Sabercats tore through the Hawks defensive line, and dominated the midfield so strongly, Fossils defense started to look bored.

The first twenty minutes of the game started off relatively slowly. Fossil had control of the play but was struggling to put the ball in the back of the net. 22 minutes into the game, Nathan Bergerson scored the first goal. Just four minutes later, the Sabercats scored again off of a penalty kick. With the score now 2-0 with 19 minutes left in the first half, the Sabercats radiated certainty with themselves and their teammates. Then, with only 10 minutes left in the half, Bergerson scored a header goal.

Starting the second half with a 3-0 lead, the Sabercats never seemed to break a sweat. Just nine minutes into the half, Tyler Hause scored on a penalty kick. Seven minutes later, Cray Carlton sent the ball flying into the back of the net. Twenty minutes went by of Fossil dominating play. They passed around the Hawks with ease and managed to score another goal. The final score of the match was 7-0. Congratulations Sabercats.

About the Writer
Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

Maddy Lewis, a sophomore, began her second year on the Etched in Stone staff as Sports Beat leader among many other leadership roles within Fossil Ridge High School. Her drive and strength make her natural-born leader and she hopes to utilize her talent throughout school and her career.

Maddy is also in student council, which allows her to gain leadership skills and grow as an individual. After College, she hopes to go into education through the Peace Corps, followed by a career as a kindergarten teacher or a Vice News political journalist.  Maddy is primarily interested in teaching people with different abilities and lives from her own, one of the reasons she is so interested in the Peace Corps. One program that she is seriously considering is in Chad, where she would be teaching young girls, teens, and women about consent. Another is in Costa Rica, teaching and helping in rural communities in any way she can.

After eleven years, competitive soccer took a toll on her knees and she recently switched sports to track and yoga. “As much as I loved soccer, I decided to change gears and try something new,” she explained. She also enjoys reading, watching movies, and hanging out with her friends. Maddy describes herself as “a nineties grunge music fanatic,” and loves bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam.