Volleyball will advance to State

Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

The varsity volleyball team defeated both Legend High School and Doherty High School, allowing Fossil Ridge to advance to the 5A state tournament.

Both games played were completely dominated by Fossil. The Sabercats swept all three sets against both teams, winning 25-11, 25-19, and 25-21 against Legend and defeating Doherty 25-23, 25-15 and 25-15. The Sabercats looked strong and confident throughout the games. By the end of the last game, Fossil didn’t even look tired. These games served as a warmup for the upcoming state competition.

Next week Fossil will be competing for the state title, hoping to redeem themselves from last years elimination in the semifinals.

About the Writer
Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

Maddy Lewis, a sophomore, began her second year on the Etched in Stone staff as Sports Beat leader among many other leadership roles within Fossil Ridge High School. Her drive and strength make her natural-born leader and she hopes to utilize her talent throughout school and her career.

Maddy is also in student council, which allows her to gain leadership skills and grow as an individual. After College, she hopes to go into education through the Peace Corps, followed by a career as a kindergarten teacher or a Vice News political journalist.  Maddy is primarily interested in teaching people with different abilities and lives from her own, one of the reasons she is so interested in the Peace Corps. One program that she is seriously considering is in Chad, where she would be teaching young girls, teens, and women about consent. Another is in Costa Rica, teaching and helping in rural communities in any way she can.

After eleven years, competitive soccer took a toll on her knees and she recently switched sports to track and yoga. “As much as I loved soccer, I decided to change gears and try something new,” she explained. She also enjoys reading, watching movies, and hanging out with her friends. Maddy describes herself as “a nineties grunge music fanatic,” and loves bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam.