Spartans fall to Sabercats in wrestling dual

Annabeth Sarabacker

Fossil coaches holler their suggestions as Parker’s match reaches its third period

Annabeth Sarbacker

The Fossil Ridge High School wrestling team took on Greeley West High School Wednesday, December 12 in a dual meet. The Sabercats dominated the night with a final team score of 48-24, and compared to last week’s dual, sophomore, Cody Ginther reflected that the dual against the Spartans was “a lot more intense.” Following his victory from last week, Ginther battled for another win in his individual match against Greeley West. He ended his match by pinning his opponent within the first period and with time to spare.  

While the night progressed, sophomore, Dillon Parker started his match by stepping into a new weight class. The uncertainty of this match brought fans to their feet to shout and cheer their support for him. The coaches’ booming voices echoed advice through the gym as they battled while his varsity and junior varsity teammates cheered him on. His match could only be described as intense, ending with a score of 12-11 victory for Fossil. Coming down from the high of the night, Parker admitted “I was a little nervous, right? ‘cause that guy was pretty big.” He also added that “as soon as I got into the match it kinda went away.” Looking towards the rest of the season he said “it’s going to turn out well.”

With his own strong beginning to the season, Ginther humbly admitted that for the team “honestly, there was a lot of stuff that we can improve on”. When asked about his predictions for the season, he joked, “we have a lot of hammers and a lot of nails”.

When the mats were being put away and the night wound down, Head Coach Brian Killion proudly stated that “you know, we’re getting better and that’s all we can ask, to keep improving each week”, a sentiment shared by the wrestlers as well. Spirits were high as the team continued through their duals and tournaments, however, they have their sights set on matches that are months away. The ultimate goal for the wrestlers is the State Championship, which means a season of hard work ahead for the team. Ginther includes himself in this, “hopefully I see myself in the state finals,” he said with a smile.