Fossil Ridge Girls Basketball Update

Ashley+Steffeck+shoots+a+three-pointer+from+the+top+of+the+key+

Ashley Steffeck shoots a three-pointer from the top of the key

Macy Klein, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School girls’ basketball team has had an amazing season so far. With an overall record of 17-3 and 9-1 in conference, the Sabercats are looking great as they head into their last week of regular season games. The lady Sabercats have been playing great and have an immense amount of confidence as they go into each game.

On Friday February 1, the Sabercats had an away conference game against cross-town rival, Fort Collins High School. The game started out slow in the first quarter but shut Fort Collins down early going into the second half. The third quarter started off slow as well while the Sabercats put up only seven points in the third quarter. Going into the fourth quarter, the Sabercats had all the confidence in the world being that the score was 39-21 in favor of the Sabercats. Fossil had a huge city win against Fort Collins, ending the game 46-25.

On Tuesday February 5, the lady Sabercats hosted a home conference game against Greeley West High School. The game started out slow for Fossil when they made a few bad reads to the basket and did not work the ball, the Sabercats barely had the lead. After a quick timeout in the first quarter, the Sabercats were right back on track scoring 25 points in the first quarter. This was consistent through the game, Fossil never backed down. The Sabercats scored at least 20 points each quarter and ended with a score of 80 while restricting the spartans to 27 points.

On Friday February 8, Fossil had an away conference game against Broomfield High School. The Sabercats had an overall record of 17-2 and 8-0 in conference while Broomfield held an overall record of 17-3 and an undefeated conference record as well. This game was to win the conference championship, the Sabercats had been preparing for this game for several weeks. All of the film watching, practicing different sets all practice long, and getting up early for practice on Saturdays, had led to that game, that game was going to make the long haul all worth it. The Sabercats had yet again a rough start to the game, a few turnovers were made right away and those turnovers turned into points for the Eagles. The Sabercats left the first quarter with a score of 12-12. The first half, Fossil managed to keep a lead but it wasn’t looking too good going into the second half. In the third quarter, the Eagles made it known that they were the best ones in the gym. Some calls had been made in their favor which didn’t end well for the Sabercats in the long run. Fossil worked hard and played together but it was no match for the Eagles, the Sabercats lost 45-48.

Tuesday February 12, Fossil hosted a home conference game against the Fairview High School Knights. After a tough loss against Broomfield, the Sabercats came out strong against the Knights. Fossil did not back down even for a second, the Knights couldn’t hold out against the Sabercats from the beginning. The score going into the second quarter was 18-5. Fossil stayed consistent throughout the whole game by scoring the teamwork. A conference win for the Sabercats, with a final score was 63-32 in favor of the Sabercats.

The Fossil Ridge girls’ basketball team is hosting a home conference and city game against Rocky Mountain High School on Thursday February 14.There will be a double-header with the varsity girls playing at 5:30 P.M. and boys varsity will follow at 7:00 P.M.. It is also Senior Night for the boys and girls’ basketball team, come out and show your support for your seniors.