Varsity baseball resiliency

The+Fossil+varisty+baseball+team+rushes+to+celebrate+with+each+other+on+Tuesday+after+their+win+against+Legacy.+

Annabeth Sarbacker

The Fossil varisty baseball team rushes to celebrate with each other on Tuesday after their win against Legacy.

Annabeth Sarbacker

Tuesday, April 23 the Fossil Ridge High School varsity baseball team went up against the Legacy High School Lightning on their home field. This afternoon game got the season back in the right direction as it ended 5-3 in the Sabercats’ favor.

Leading up to the game, the Fossil parents were nervous to see how the team would do after a rough three losses in the prior week. The hopeful chatter echoed Head Coach Scott Masi’s sentiments of confidence in their ability “to get the team back on the right side of the track.”

The first inning was reassuring when it ended in a score of 2-1 with the home team beginning on a strong foot. From the top of the second inning to the top of the fourth inning, the teams were tied 2-2. In the bottom of the fourth inning the Sabercats pulled ahead and scored three more runs before the conclusion of the game.  

As the players tended to the diamond, Coach Masi proudly stated that “we were able to get out of the first inning with only one run”. He also credited the “good defense and timely hitting” for their victory. As a senior with a golden season of never having struck out in over 80 plate appearances, Jack Cosper admits that “it was tough, but we came together…”

Annabeth Sarbacker
Fossil’s varisty baseball team meeting after their victory against Legacy.

Coming back from a disheartening three game losing streak is not an easy task, but the players are in good spirits after Tuesday’s win. Senior, Talen Townsend advises that a successful team needs to “…remember how to play for each other” in order to bounce back from consecutive losses.  

“…remember how to play for each other.”

— Talen Townsend

This turn around continued on Wednesday April 24 when the Sabercats defeated the Mountain Range High School Mustangs 6-3. Fossil was down 0-3 for four innings until they were able to score during the sixth and seventh in order to tie the game. The game ended with an eighth inning where three points were scored for the win by Fossil.

According to Townsend, “‘the game was really exciting, it was awesome to see the guys come back after being down all game…”  As interesting as it is to win the game from a low starting point, Cosper offers a more critical opinion, “We need to work on having a stronger first inning and playing ahead instead of from behind.”

Townsend was happy with the team’s defensive playing, but admitted that his batting could be improved while Cosper is focusing on “staying consistent in all aspects of the game.”.Alike any other team they are focusing on improvements between each game as a way to work towards the state tournament.

Annabeth Sarbacker
Fossil’s varsity baseball team works together to tend to their home field diamond.

Cosper also mentioned that “we go to the ballpark expecting to win.” This season will continue to hold interest if not for the sport, for the players’ stories. Be sure to get out and catch some sun during one of the games. The next home game will be April 30 against Horizon High School at 4:00 P.M.