D1 Bound – Fossil Ultimate

Back to Article
Back to Article

D1 Bound – Fossil Ultimate

Fossil Ultimate will look to make a name for themselves in this year's Division I State Championship.

Brandon Kruse

Brandon Kruse

Brandon Kruse

Brandon Kruse

On Saturday, May 11 and Sunday, May 12, the Fossil Ridge High School Ultimate Frisbee team will travel to Arvada, Colorado to play in the 2019 Colorado High School Division I State Tournament. Fossil competed in this same tournament last year but went just 1-5 to end the 2018 spring season. This spring, the Phantoms look to have better success in the tournament.

Fossil comes into this tournament as the No. 9 seed (out of 16 teams). They will play No. 1 seed Monarch High School to begin the festivities at 10:00 a.m. MDT on Saturday, followed by games against No. 8 seed Columbine High School (12:15 p.m. MDT) and No. 16 seed Fairview High School (2:30 p.m. MDT). Fossil has most recently played Monarch A and Columbine, both of which were losses. However, with a more complete and balanced team, Fossil’s play is expected to improve in those first two games.

Sunday will be bracket play. The top two teams in each pool are qualified to play in the championship bracket. The rest will play in the consolation bracket. To see an illustration of the pool games as well as the championship bracket, click here.

This will be the last tournament for the seniors, all of whom have made an incredible impact on the program. This will also be the last games in which Jason Laxague, the coach, is able to instruct and coach the team from the sidelines (for him and his wife are moving to Seattle, Washington later this month). Be sure to give the Fossil Ultimate team your support as they try to bring an ultimate frisbee championship to Fossil.

About the Contributor
Brandon Kruse, Sports Writer

Brandon Kruse, a senior, is in his first year of Journalism. He had spent the previous two years being a member of Fossil’s T.V. program pursuing an...