Fossil honors their seniors on emotional day

From Left: Georgia LaPlante, Nikki McGaffin, and Lizzy Browning together on Fossil’s senior day

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The distance from third base to home plate is 60 feet. It takes less than 15 seconds to walk that length. But for the seniors on the softball team, this measurement means so much more to them.

On September 30, 2021, the Fossil Ridge softball team honored their seniors Lizzy Browning, Georgia LaPlante and Nikki McGaffin on their annual senior night. The Sabercats would defeat the Rocky Mountain Lobos 5-0, but all eyes were on the opening ceremony. 

As tradition, the three seniors and their families walked from third base to home where they were greeted by coaches and their teammates. Lizzy Browning couldn’t help but get teared up during the ceremony.

Outfielder Lizzy Browning being given her traditional senior speech

“It was a little emotional, knowing that the last four years are about to be done, it was happy, sad though, really emotional,” Browning said.

Once the seniors had reached home plate, they were all given a speech of support and farewell from a player of their choosing. Georgia LaPlante chose junior shortstop Katelyn Hays. For LaPlante, it wasn’t a tricky decision to make.

“I loved Katelyn’s speech…it means so much to have someone I’ve been playing with her since I was in sixth or seventh grade…she wrote it so eloquently which I was just loving,” LaPlante said.

Georgia Laplante with best friend junior Katelyn Hays

Nikki McGaffin had her catcher, junior Kodi Alvord give her speech. Nikki and Kodi have been playing together for over six years, and have a truly special bond. But throughout all those years together, there’s one moment that sticks out to Nikki.

“My favorite moment with Kodi is probably pitching in the Broomfield game my sophomore year…they were 100% the best team in the state and we played them the game before the state championship…I hit a walk off[to take the lead] and we had to go back and get three outs. It’s a different type of bond between a pitcher and a catcher in that moment,” McGaffin said.

Pitcher Nikki McGaffin embracing her catcher Kodi Alvord

Head coach Dave Philop talked about how much this senior night meant to him and what made it different from other years.

“To watch those three seniors perform…it’s pretty special. I love to watch Nikki [McGaffin] throw. I love to watch Lizzy [Browning] play. I love to watch Georgia field, bat and all that…” Philop said.

Coach Philop talked about what impressed him and stood out to him the most about each of three seniors on his team.

“Nikki, from the first time I ever watched her she competes, wants the ball…and to compete with the hitter…Georgia, she’s solid and consistent…she’s gonna try hard and she’s gonna play hard…Lizzy is just, wow…there’s so many it’s hard to say…her energy and her passion…and her enthusiasm…that’s what I love so much about her,” Philop said.