Fossil wins back-to-back city matchups by shutout

Dylan Heinrich

Senior Katelyn Hays practicing during warmups.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge softball team won matches against city opponents  Rocky Mountain and Poudre both by a score of 10-0.

The test started on Saturday against the Rocky Mountain Lobos. The Sabercats found themselves neck-and-neck with the Lobos in the standings. Fossil entered 5-2 and Rocky not too far ahead at 7-1.

The Sabercats started the game off hot, as the team took an early 2-0 off a two-run home run from senior Katelyn Hays. This brings Hays up to seven home runs, tying her with fellow senior Kodi Alvord for the team lead. The two have been battling in a friendly competition over the course of their final season. 

Fossil continued to pull ahead, busting the game open with a six run third inning. The Sabercats ended up batting around the order, demonstrating their offensive prowess.

However, the real highlights from the Sabercats from the defensive end. The team has struggled with fielding all season, failing to execute and secure big outs when they are needed most. The entire team played a secure game, resulting in no errors and several close call groundouts. Perhaps the most impressive fielder was sophomore Lucy Ostapovich. The left fielder was able to track down several hard-to-see balls in the sun, a task that the Rocky outfielders were struggling with all game.

“It really helps to just be loose. Once you get into a groove, you get out there and it’s fun. You want the ball…you look for those big moments,” Ostapovich said.

Outfielder Lucy Ostapovich playing outfield at the Triple Crown Stadium.

After one final run in the fifth, the Sabercats were able to wrap up the game against the Lobos 10-0.

Fossil played their second city game in three days facing off against the Poudre Impalas. The importance of these city games permeates throughout the players, coaches, and fans.

“It means a lot, you get bragging rights with [a win]. Most of us have [club] teammates on those teams, so it feels pretty good to put it to them,” Ostapovich said.

Monday’s contest was an emotional one, as the Sabercats honored their seniors Baylee Rosecrans, and the previously mentioned Katelyn Hays and Kodi Alvord. 

Fossil played a near identical game against the Impalas, resulting in the same final score, as the Sabercats sit one game away from control over the city for the sixth straight season. 

But before their matchup against Collins next Monday, they have to go through Loveland and Prairie View this Thursday and Saturday respectively.

A full broadcast link to the matchup against Rocky Mountain is available here: Fossil Softball vs. Rocky Mountain