Sabercat softball lose heartstopper against No.6 Erie

Dylan Heinrich

Heidi Schneider walking off the field after the game.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

Fossil Ridge High School fell short in their road matchup against the Erie Tigers, losing 2-1 on a walkoff single.

The Sabercats were prepped for war, as last year’s game the Tigers was almost identical, with Erie walking off the game 1-0 in the 9th inning. 

The scoring started a lot earlier in this game however, as Erie brought in one run in the 4th off a double and a Fossil error. 

Fossil found difficulty jump-starting their comeback though, only earning four walks and hits in the first six innings. Things didn’t get better once they were on base, as two Sabercat runners were thrown out due to base running errors. 

Fossil Ridge flipped the script in the seventh, leading off the inning with a solid single from senior Kodi Alvord. Things continued to improve after fellow senior Katelyn Hays earned herself a double, bringing in Alvord to tie the game. After another hit and a walk, the Sabercats found themselves with bases loaded and two outs. Unfortunately, Fossil was unable to break the tie, leaving all three runners stranded. 

Senior catcher Kodi Alvord crossing home, scoring Fossil’s only run of the game.

Erie wasted no time in ending the game. After a walk and an error, the Tigers had runners on the corners with no outs. Fossil’s defense was unable to pull off the miracle, as a single over the head of the infield earned Erie High School a massive conference victory.

The Sabercats fall to 7-5, 2-1 in league play, and will look to bounce back in their road game against Brighton High School on Thursday, September 15.