Leaders chosen by chance? What the leadership lottery process is all about

Emilia Helbig

The informational meeting required to visit before applying to RIDGE leadership

Emilia Helbig, Staff Writer

Homecoming, assemblies, the “Day to Belong”—all that gets set up by Fossil Ridge High School students stepping up in leadership positions and putting their time and effort into making each of those events better than the last. Everyone can get involved–since last year, you get chosen by a lottery process, which a lot of people had questions about. 

Fossil’s leadership academy consists of ambassadors, Link crew, Leadership by Design, RIDGE Leadership, and Sabercat 101: Leadership foundations. Prior to that, there were only ambassadors and Student Council. 

“Ambassadors was around 32 to 36 students and student council was about the same, out of a school population of 2300. We know that we have more students who are interested in learning about leadership and going down that path,” said Bradly Nye, the activities director and assistant principal at Fossil. 

“By spreading it out, we not only create more opportunities, but we also make the workload more bearable, moving forward, and it allows you to specialize,” said Erin Carson, the Link crew leader.

“In RIDGE leadership, the students focus on identifying what is going on within our climate and culture that needs support, and they help to respond that way,” Nye said. “They study servant leadership, do a variety of different events around our building, including homecoming, but at the very core of it, it is a servant-leadership focused group, intended to better our community.” 

Since last year, the selection process simply consists of a lottery–instead of the combination of interviews, applications, teacher references, and a popular vote that was needed to get accepted in previous years..

“Our goal behind creating a lottery was to open up access and opportunity for all students in eliminating bias and how students are selected for leadership,” said Nye. “I have a hard time believing that by the age of 15 it has been determined if you are a bad or a good leader, as well as by a good GPA, which has absolutely nothing to do with leadership skills.”

“There are some students that never would have been in the regular process, just because it can be scary, that now are in RIDGE leadership, and have done a fantastic job and really rose to the top,” said Alex Oberto, Co-Link crew leader with Dr. Carson.

Although there are a lot of students with different levels of experience, skills, and motivation coming in, that is exactly what the class is intended for–teaching and developing those skills to get stronger leaders moving forward.

“We believe in a transformative experience,” said Nye. 

Within the school, there are various opinions about the lottery, but that kind of inevitably comes with change. “I like that it doesn’t only focus on popularity,” said Madison Moss, a student who took RIDGE Leadership last semester.

Around the state, people get interested in Fossil’s methods. 

“We continue to get questions and interests in how we are doing that. And I think a lot of it really boils down to a lot of the things going on within our culture around equity and diversity,” Nye added. 

So, on Monday, an email will be sent out to all ninth, tenth, and eleventh graders with a Google Form attached. For getting a shot at being drawn in the lottery, you will just have to select which program you want to join and answer a couple of questions (which will not determine your chances in the process though). All people involved in the leadership academy highly encourage joining. 

“A lot of times, individuals who don’t have a chance to step outside of themselves have a very small lens in what they look through and how they see the world. Stepping into a leadership position, especially studying servant leadership, helps to widen their point of view to help see a bigger picture of the world around them, and helps them understand how their strengths fit within that world,” said Nye. 

“I learned that I have a lot more confidence than I thought,” said Moss, “but, also that my future is not being an event planner. It was still fun!”

It is a great way to get involved with the school community and get the chance to personally grow; everybody can join. 

“At the end of the day, if you even have an inkling of interest and are willing to put in a little bit of extra time and effort, definitely go for it,” said Oberto, “It’s worth it.”