Fossil Wrestling preps for postseason

Fossil players before their meet against Loveland

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

On January 26, the Fossil Ridge High School Wrestling team faced off against Longmont High School in a dual meet in their final home meet of the year. 

The Sabercats had plenty of ups and downs this season, but gained plenty of experience throughout their two-month season.

“They’re starting to turn a corner…They’re starting to understand how to wrestle a full match and really finding that grit. When they find themselves in tough situations they’ve given themselves a chance to win matches, and that’s what I’ve been impressed with,” said Head Coach, Preston Pavich.

Fossil has also been dealing with the fact that so much of their rosters is made up of young or inexperienced wrestlers. Currently, seven of Fossil’s twelve varsity wrestlers are underclassmen, with four being freshmen. This season has been a learning opportunity for many of these young wrestlers, who have improved drastically compared to the beginning of the year. 

Coach Pavich has been working with his young players, using this season as a learning experience.

“[We’ve seen a lot of growth] especially from the beginning of the year to now. A lot of our freshmen didn’t have a season last year, so we’re building off a non-existent year…really trying to change the bad habits and the kids are starting to figure it out and click,” Pavich said.

The Sabercats will have one final dual meet on Thursday, January 27, against Erie High School. Two days later, Fossil will be competing in the conference tournament at Poudre High School. The Sabercats have high hopes for their wrestlers; They are looking to succeed in the upcoming tournament.

“Any given day anybody could do well in wrestling. Right now all these tournaments are getting us focused for regionals so we can make it to state,” Pavich said.