Boys volleyball prepares for their first season at PSD

Addy Ehleiter, Sports Director

This spring, Poudre School District will become one of eleven boy’s volleyball teams in the region. This PSD team is open to boys from all grade levels who currently attend a PSD high school. While this will be a district team, practices will be held at Fossil Ridge High School and will be coached by several of Fossil’s staff members, including Brian Switala and head coach Christopher Savage.

Fossil Ridge High School hosts athletes from all four PSD high schools for the new boys volleyball team.

After growing up playing volleyball in California, Savage says, “My best memories of high school were with my volleyball team… I’m really hoping to inspire that love of volleyball in the kids that come out on the team this year.”

Despite being brand new to the district, many boys from all four district high schools and varying grade levels have already expressed interest in joining the team. After talking to several of the boys at an open gym practice, it was clear that the majority of the boys have little to no experience playing volleyball. Most of the boys, such as Fossil Ridge senior, Quinn Harmon, want to join simply to try out volleyball. Harmon stated, “I’ve never played volleyball before in my life, I’m just trying it.” While this is the case for some of the boys on the team, others are really hoping to hang out with their friends. Victor Lenell, a freshman at Fossil, stated that, “I’m most excited just to get to play and find a group of guys to play volleyball with and have some fun.”

Fossil Ridge High School senior, Zach Hartman, plays tennis, a more individualized sport, in the fall and is excited to play a more team-oriented sport this spring.

After having a good turn out with around twenty-five boys attending the open gym practices, the coaches are hopeful that for the first year they will be able to have a varsity, junior varsity (JV) and, possibly, even a third “C” team with hopes at giving everyone who tries out an opportunity to play for a team. 

As far as this season goes, the boys are looking forward to practicing and learning more about playing volleyball. Jaden Auer, a senior at Poudre High School states, “I always thought volleyball was really cool, but they’ve never had a boys team, so I think this is my chance.”  

The team and coaches welcome any boys who have interest in playing volleyball. It is not too late to come to open gyms and learn more about it. 

We are looking forward to seeing how the new boys volleyball team progresses through this season.