Fossil snaps losing streak against Rocky in shutout win

Fossil celebrating Furrow’s goal, giving them a 1-0 lead.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The Fossil Ridge High School’s girls soccer team avenged their three-game losing streak against Rocky Mountain High School, winning their matchup 3-0.

The Sabercats came out the gate strong, with senior, Ava Furrow scoring a goal less than 15 minutes into the game. 

“I just wanted to come out on top…I wanted to win, so I made sure I finished the goal,” Furrow said.

As the game rolled into the second half, Fossil’s offense only got better. The team managed two more goals in the final 40 minutes, coming from senior, Allie Ressler and junior, Amy Smith. This continues the Sabercats’ domination in the attacking zone, as they have averaged seven goals per game during league play.

“The key has been communication and teamwork honestly…trusting one another and leaving it all on the field, and supporting everyone and celebrating the little accomplishments to make the big ones happen,” Furrow explained.

As mentioned before, this breaks Fossil’s three-game losing streak against Rocky, marking their first win since 2017. This matchup has been a continuous nightmare for the Sabercats, but they were able to push past those struggles during this dominant victory.

Furrow states, “This time, I feel it’s more special. It’s my senior year and I feel like we have the drive and hunger to be the best and I think that really showed out there.”

Fossil will put their undefeated league streak on the line this Thursday on the road against 4-0 Broomfield High School.