Fossil Ridge Dance Team performing during halftime football game against Fairview.
Sophie Webb

Senior Season: Dance

This next Senior Season segment will highlight our dancing Sabercats for the graduating class of 2024. This talented group of girls known as the Fossil Ridge Dance Team (FRDT) recently placed fourth at State Championships! Enjoy reading about this next set of seniors and be ready for girls swim coming soon. Up third… dance!

2024 Graduating Dance Athletes
Gardener has been practicing over a decade but still loves to grow alongside her team.
Gardener has been practicing over a decade but still loves to grow alongside her team. (Lisa Eklund)
Avery Gardener

Since she was six years old, Avery Gardner has expanded her passion for dancing all the way to the Fossil Ridge Dance Team where she has been dancing for the past three years on Varsity. “I’ve always loved watching dance and it just looked so cool seeing all these teams and studios being able to pull out routines like that so it just really intrigued me to try it,” Gardner explains. Her favorite part about dance is competing and bonding with her teammates, “We’re very united this year and very positive with each other,” Gardner says. Her goal for this year was for the FRDT to make it to State which the team accomplished, placing fourth. She is unsure if she will continue to dance in college but is planning to try out for CU Boulder and Utah Valley’s Dance Team.

Hellers favorite part is performances along with her teammates.
Heller’s favorite part is performances along with her teammates. (Lisa Eklund)
Sarah Heller

Sarah Heller was not originally a dancer but, in fact, an actress. “I actually did acting and then to be a good actress you had to dance and so I got enrolled in dance classes and realized that I like dance a lot more than I do acting,” Heller notes. Since then her acting career has come to an end, but her dancing career is alive and well and will continue as long as she is able to dance. “Every single college I’ve applied to I’m trying out for the dance team, and I’m only going to go to a college where I can be on the dance team,” Heller emphasizes. She is a Sort leader for the dance team, meaning she coordinates with the band and students. Outside of the dance floor she is one of the most academically involved members on the team and has a current GPA of 4.2, taking a total of twelve college classes once she graduates and is a current member of National Art Honor Society, National Business Honor Society, and National Technical Honor Society.

Lemmon may change her major to something STEM related.
Lemmon may change her major to something STEM related. (Lisa Eklund)
Paige Lemmon

Paige Lemmon has been dancing on and off since middle school and is on her second year for the Fossil Ridge Dance Team. She is a recreational dancer whose favorite style is hip hop, but does not compete since she would like “to enjoy [dance] and take in every moment because it is my last year.” Lemmon can still be seen on the sidelines of sports games and is a vital part of the team. “I loved going to the state basketball game and performing because it was just so hype and everyone was pumped and the energy was everything,” Lemmon says. She does not plan to dance at a college level, but may continue as a hobby.  For college she is looking into going somewhere that has a big social scene such as the University of Central Florida and plans to major in business.

Perez has been on the dance team all four years of high school.
Perez has been on the dance team all four years of high school. (Lisa Eklund)
Alyssa Perez

What once was a hobby in middle school turned into so much more for Alyssa Perez. Her friend with dance experience convinced Perez to join her in trying out for the team and it soon grew to be her passion. “Dance is my favorite getaway from school and stress of life in general,” Perez explains. Her talent has led her to become a recent nominee for CHSAA All-State First Team. She plans to continue dancing after high school and to try out for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon University. Her favorite part was the football games and holds close the memory of her and her team at Nationals in 2022 when fireworks went off on a roller coaster. “[I am] so proud of my team and thankful for our coaches for believing in us,” Perez says. 

Yvars favorite part about dance is her team.
Yvars’ favorite part about dance is her team. (Cydney Hurt)
Alex Yvars

For the past fifteen years Alex Yvars has been perfecting her dancing skills, leading to her position as team captain this 2023-24 year. “My mom signed me up as a kid and I loved it so I’ve been doing it ever since,” Yvars explains. Yvars moved to Fort Collins right before her freshman year at Fossil and dance was not only a way for her to get involved with the school but to meet new people. Yvars immediately fit in and bonded with her team, “Fossil Ridge Dance Team is like a second family to me,” she comments. There is a possibility this is Yvars’ last year dancing since it is not realistic at the schools she is applying to for college, but it will always be a big part of her life. “My favorite memory with my team was… nationals in 2022 and the Disney firework show started right when we were all at the top of a roller coaster,” Yvars remarks.