A total solar eclipse is seen on Monday, August 21, 2017 above Madras, Oregon. A total solar eclipse swept across a narrow portion of the contiguous United States from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. A partial solar eclipse was visible across the entire North American continent along with parts of South America, Africa, and Europe.  Photo Credit: (NASA/Aubrey Gemignani)
A total solar eclipse is seen on Monday, August 21, 2017 above Madras, Oregon. A total solar eclipse swept across a narrow portion of the contiguous United States from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. A partial solar eclipse was visible across the entire North American continent along with parts of South America, Africa, and Europe. Photo Credit: (NASA/Aubrey Gemignani)
(NASA/Aubrey Gemignani)

Eclipsed in disappointment

A stellar event happened in Fort Collins on Monday,  August 21, as a nearly full eclipse was in view . This once in a lifetime experience fell on the first day of school for numerous students. Fossil Ridge High School took about twenty minutes  out of the normal school day so students could have the opportunity to view the eclipse. The eclipse, despite being an amazing act of science, led up to be a bit of a disappointment for some students.

A total solar eclipse is seen on Monday, August 21, 2017  Photo credit: (NASA/Aubrey Gemignani)

The summer eclipse was an event many people across the United States looked forward to the viewing of a rare space obscurity. For Fossil students starting school many debated whether or not to  view the eclipse at home or go up to  Wyoming for the opportunity to see the eclipse at totality. The high school gave parents an advance notice that students were allowed dismissal from class to view the eclipse, which led to excitement for some so students would not be compelled to ditch the first day of school.

When the big day came, it was a disappointment for many students. As soon as students were let outside many used it to socialize with one another, spending very little time looking up at the sun being covered by the moon. Students such as Evan Wallin, a senior, claimed that it was “anticlimactic” because he was expecting it to be more “exciting and dramatic.” Wallin did agree that the eclipse was impressive to have seen in his lifetime.

For a great deal of students at Fossil the let down of the eclipse was big, but the opportunity to see it is unforgettable despite the let down for some.