Girls swimming and diving team beats Mountain Range by 115 points

Abby Bordewick

Thursday, January 18th, Fossil Ridge girls swimming and diving team competed against Mountain Range High School. It is to no surprise that the Sabercats won the meet, Fossil finished with 150 points and Mountain Range 35 points, the girls beat them by 115 points. In every race besides three, the Sabercats placed in the top three places every time.

The first event was the 200 yard medley relay. Fossil received first, third, fourth, seventh, eighth, eleventh, and thirteenth. CJ Kovac, Kylee Alons, Kylee Rinker, and Andrea Niemann placed first with a time of 1:57.00. In third place was Coleen Gillilan, Erlandson, Kara Trombley, and Elizabeth Mitchell, they had a time of 1:59.54. Summer Siverts, Zoe Bartel, Hadley Nelson, and Ainsley Tyree, had a time of 2:02.09 and finished in fourth place. With a time of 2:17.02, Ariella Banta, Julia Petrino, Megan Patrilla, and Natalie Anderson, received seventh place. Miller Alisha, Ella Peterson, Alex Hill, and Anna Rehm finished in eighth place, with a time of 2:18.32. From placing so highly in this race the Sabercats received a total of 10 points for the team.

The third event was the 200 yard IM. The sabercats received first, thirds, fourth, fifth, seventh, tenth, and twelfth place. Mahala Erlandson had a time of 2:14.51, allowing her to get first place. Riley Green had a time of 2:21.93, finished in third place. Merle Wacker received fourth place with a time of 2:29.06. Mia Strong was close behind Wacker, she received fifth place with a time of 2:31.38. Alex Hill finished in seventh place and had a time of 2:35.92. Natalie Anderson had a time of 2:48.81, finishing in tenth place, and Cale Gonzalez finished in twelfth place with a time of 2:55.39. From all of the points combined Fossil had a total of 12 points.

The fourth event was the 50 yard freestyle, in this event the sabercats had six swimmers placing in the top 10. Fossil received first, second, third, fifth, seventh, tenth, eleventh, thirteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth, and twentieth. Caroline Baker had a time of 25.32 and received first place. With a time of 26.20, Phoebe Huey finished in second place. CJ Kovac had a time of 26.20 and received third place. Summer Siverts placed third with a time of 27.48, and Zara Alkaff had a time of 27.69 and finished in seventh place. In tenth place was Ella Peterson, who had a time of 28.80, and Kate Miller in eleventh place with a time of 30.25. From this event, the Sabercats earned 14 points.

The eighth event was the 500 yard freestyle, the Sabercats finished in the top five places, as well in seventh, eighth, and ninth place. Coleen Gillilan received first place with a time of 5:04.79. Zoe Bartel finished in second place and had a time of 5:20.10, Andrea Niemann received third place, with a time of 5:37.41. Summer Siverts finished in fourth place, with a time of 5:46.93, and Emma Stahl had a time of 5:59.18 finishing in fifth place. Mia Strong finished in seventh place with a time of 6:13.69, Ella Peterson had a time of 6:33.19 and received eighth place, and Brynn Scharte finished in ninth place with a time of 6:41.02. From this event Fossil earned a total of 15 points for the team.

Congratulations to the girls swimming and diving team, this team never seems to disappoint. Make sure you wish the team luck on their upcoming meet, January 23rd against Windsor.