Girls basketball go 2-0 for in-town rival week

Girls’ basketball go 2-0 for in-town rival week

[slideshow_deploy id=’13204′]

With a full crowd of students and families, the girls Varsity team competed against in-town rivals, Fort Collins High School on Friday, February 12, winning 50-42.

Seniors Sami Steffeck, Regand Wess, and Sydney Reed started the game for senior night, accompanied by freshman, Ashley Steffeck and junior, Mckenna Schultz.

The Sabercats started off to a slow start, ending the first quarter 1-1. Sami Steffeck comments, “when I looked up at the score at the end of the quarter, I was pretty frustrated and surprised that that was the real score.” Steffeck played the most aggressive in the first half, having 2 steals minutes into the game.

The intensity of the game was picked up during the second quarter, ending the first half with Fossil leading 17-8. The Sabercats pulled ahead with high pressure defense that led to steals, the team had a total of 8 steals.

The Sabercats continued to push ahead in the third quarter, racking up rebounds and finishing fast transitions. Regan Wess, Britton Mishak, and Mckenna Schultz were all hot on the boards, each with 4 rebounds. The team held the lead, ending the third quarter 33-22.

Fort Collins didn’t go down without a fight, tightening the lead to 39-33 halfway through the fourth quarter. The Sabercats dealt with the high pressure from Collins by finishing their free throws after being fouled. The team went 13 for 15 from the line. The game ended with Fossil winning 50-42.

According to head coach, Chad Salz, “the two ‘Players of the Game’ were Sami Steffeck and Regan Wess.” Steffeck had a total of 5 baskets, 3 steals, 2 rebounds, and went 6 for 6 on the free throw line. Wess had a total of 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and went 2 for 2 on the free throw line.

The Sabercats now have the opportunity to end up with a third seed going into the end of season tournament if they were to beat their next opponents, Poudre, Fairview, and Boulder.