Amnesty International hosts poster making party

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Credit: Anna Henning

Photo Credit: Anna Henning

Photo Credit: Anna Henning

Photo Credit: Anna Henning

Liam H. Flake and Anna Henning

On Wednesday, March 21, Fossil Ridge High School’s Amnesty International club hosted a poster party during late start and lunch. During the gathering, students gathered to create posters displaying messages against gun violence.

• Poster making was a way for people to express their opinions and support each other. Photo Credit: Anna Henning

• On average, America has experienced one school shooting a week. Photo Credit: Anna Henning

• A student traces the image of a gun onto her poster. Photo Credit: Anna Henning

• Olivia Doro writes, "Stand today for a brighter future tomorrow" on her poster. Photo Credit: Anna Henning

• Protect lives, not guns has been a common theme among poster makers. They are hoping to protest so students will not continue to be shot. Photo Credit: Anna Henning

• Poster making allowed students to collaborate and bring out their creativity by brainstorming phrases and images. Photo Credit: Anna Henning

“We’re making posters to be hung around the school or to be taken to the March For Our Lives, which is a rally some of us will be attending this Saturday, March 24, in Denver to support change in gun control policies.” This is the purpose of the event, as stated by Fossil Ridge Amnesty International leader Brenna Ketchum. “It’s to express our views and our support of that issue,” Ketchum explained. Amnesty International’s support of gun control, however, is not unique to Fossil’s chapter of the organization. “Margaret Huang, the director for Amnesty USA, issued a statement a few weeks ago supporting the March for Our Lives, and urging Amnesty members to attend them in various cities across the country. They are very anti-guns,” Ketchum expressed. Amnesty International also provided poster ideas for the march.

Photo Credit: Anna Henning

Learn more about Amnesty International and their stance on guns here.