Football Players, Homecoming Court, and Jigsaw Puzzles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fossil Students watch the 2018 Homecoming Assembly.

Joshua Villalpando

Joshua Villalpando

Joshua Villalpando

Liam H. Flake, News Director

Fossil Ridge High School hosted their “Safari”-themed homecoming assembly on Friday, September 14, in the school’s gym. The assembly featured various school functions, including dance team, choir, the football team, the band, and the cheer team. The assembly also featured elements and setup from Ridge TV, class games, emcees Austin Hand and Amelia Overholt, and revealed homecoming court for the junior, sophomores, and freshman as follows:

• Homecoming Prince: Ryan Cleverly
  • Homecoming Princess: Bridget Baer
  • Homecoming Duke: Jay Hirning
  • Homecoming Duchess: Lariel Henley
  • Homecoming Lord: Nathan Hallmark
  • Homecoming Lady: Mia Shanley

Candidates for Homecoming Court included Samuel Oversen, Madeline Clark, Braden Dix, Allie Ressler, Madison Bell, and Marcus Baer for freshmen, and Lily Osios, Tyce Baldwin, Morgan Hattem, Tanner Arkin, Kylie Becker, and Ridge Bowolick for sophomores. Additionally, upperclassmen candidates included Josh Hansen, Lauren Zwetzig, Rachel Lambrecht, Carter Lake, Lauren Houldsworth, and Jack Eastwood for juniors, and Josh Lee, Emily Drysdale, Zara Alkaff, James Zheng, Cole Mason, Megan Bean, Casey Knutsen, Riley Zhun, Charlie Durban, and Jack Cosper for seniors.

The Homecoming King and Queen will be revealed at the Homecoming game.

• This year's assembly abolished the system of dividing students by advisory class. instead grouping them by class.

• The first seniors begin to take their seats on the floor of the gym.

• Homecoming Court nominees waited on either side of the gym when not being featured.

• The assembly opened with the choir singing the national anthem and Alma Mater.

• Homecoming Court nominees passed each other with diverse interactions when introduced.

• Fossil Drama students Austin Hand and Amelia Overholt served as emcees for the assembly, complete with full safari attire.

• Senior Homecoming Court nominees await their introduction.

• The assembly featured a performance from the cheer team, as well as various cheers led to the audience.

• The assembly included a performance featuring the Fossil Dance Team, both with and without the football team.

• As part of their annual appearance in the assembly, the football team did "the Worm" in a line.

• Jack Eastwood and unwitting Homecoming Princess Bridget Baer made their introduction with the rest of the junior homecoming court nominees.

• Fossil Seniors watched their last homecoming Ridge TV episode at the beginning of the assembly.

• The assembly's first activity featured students face-painting each other with the appearance of a sabrecat.

• Homecoming Court nominee leapfrog over each other in their moment in the spotlight.

• Ridge TV student Stephen Elias assists with filming the assembly. The assembly was broadcast live by Ridge TV

• In accordance with tradition, Fossil seniors raise their chairs over their heads during cheers.

• The last class game of the assembly involved class sections handing down puzzle pieces from the bleachers to seniors awaiting at the bottom, who then assembled said puzzles.

• Setup and all technical aspects of the assembly were organized and operated by Ridge TV. The group begins setting up equipment the day before during school, while PE classes are moved outside. "Some people probably don't realize how much work goes into it," explained technical producer Johnny Howlett. "But at the end of the day, our job is to make sure people don't notice some of the stuff that we do."