Editor’s Note: Leading and needing people too

My+presentation+on+mental+health+at+CSU+drew+in+rows+and+rows+of+people+passionate+about+breaking+the+stigma.+

Karen Manley

My presentation on mental health at CSU drew in rows and rows of people passionate about breaking the stigma.

Karen Manley, Editor-in-Chief

When I envisioned myself becoming Editor-in-Chief four years ago, I assumed I would be a completely different person by this point in my life. While many things about me have changed, I have retained my love for people.  Ironically, I am incredibly dependent on others as well, a quality often uncharacteristic of a leader.

I had gone my entire life being a learner and had no faith in my abilities as a teacher. I was afraid of standing up and speaking my mind. I was not confident in myself, even as I went into my senior year.

As I moved through the journalism program, I began to see myself in many different lights. Sometimes I was the girl who sat confidently down with people I knew did not like me and sparked a friendship, sometimes I sat with my headphones in and did not speak for the entire class. Some moments consisted of vulnerability while others filled me excitement.  It was messy and confused, but eventually, I found my voice.

In October of my senior year, I presented at a journalism conference at Colorado State University. My presentation covered the process of and tips for writing journalistic articles about mental health. I shared my story with one hundred journalism students and advisors in hopes of inspiring others. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive and I could not have been more proud of myself.

I am lucky in the nature of the Editor-in-Chief role. Every day I am interacting with other journalists, guiding and answering questions. Truthfully, they are helping me more than I could ever help them. My staff has shaped me into my current self, in and outside of journalism. I have learned that collaboration is the most important part of leading, and that teamwork is more powerful than any single idea.

So as I head into my final semester of high school, I will unite and inspire others. My staff is my family and as it grows bigger, I am determined to make them feel at home. I am always growing as a leader, but for the first time I feel like I am moving in the right direction.