Editor’s Note: Leading and needing people too

My+presentation+on+mental+health+at+CSU+drew+in+rows+and+rows+of+people+passionate+about+breaking+the+stigma.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

My presentation on mental health at CSU drew in rows and rows of people passionate about breaking the stigma.

Karen Manley

Karen Manley

Karen Manley

Karen Manley, Editor-in-Chief

When I envisioned myself becoming Editor-in-Chief four years ago, I assumed I would be a completely different person by this point in my life. While many things about me have changed, I have retained my love for people.  Ironically, I am incredibly dependent on others as well, a quality often uncharacteristic of a leader.

I had gone my entire life being a learner and had no faith in my abilities as a teacher. I was afraid of standing up and speaking my mind. I was not confident in myself, even as I went into my senior year.

As I moved through the journalism program, I began to see myself in many different lights. Sometimes I was the girl who sat confidently down with people I knew did not like me and sparked a friendship, sometimes I sat with my headphones in and did not speak for the entire class. Some moments consisted of vulnerability while others filled me excitement.  It was messy and confused, but eventually, I found my voice.

In October of my senior year, I presented at a journalism conference at Colorado State University. My presentation covered the process of and tips for writing journalistic articles about mental health. I shared my story with one hundred journalism students and advisors in hopes of inspiring others. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive and I could not have been more proud of myself.

I am lucky in the nature of the Editor-in-Chief role. Every day I am interacting with other journalists, guiding and answering questions. Truthfully, they are helping me more than I could ever help them. My staff has shaped me into my current self, in and outside of journalism. I have learned that collaboration is the most important part of leading, and that teamwork is more powerful than any single idea.

So as I head into my final semester of high school, I will unite and inspire others. My staff is my family and as it grows bigger, I am determined to make them feel at home. I am always growing as a leader, but for the first time I feel like I am moving in the right direction.

About the Contributor
Karen Manley, Editor in Chief

Karen Manley, a senior, has been in the journalism program since her freshman year. She feels most at home when writing about Unified Sports and activities,...

1 Comment

One Response to “Editor’s Note: Leading and needing people too”

1. Blake Walsh on January 17th, 2019 9:19 am

Great dragon energy Karen! Audric would be proud

• Editor’s Note: Leading and needing people too

2018

Forensics competes at the Lobo Howl

• 2018

Sabercat Story: Teegan Hevelone

2018

Sabercat Stories: Gina Curtis

2018

Sabercat Stories: Jeremy Brandon

2018

Sabercats defeat the Indians in wrestling dual

2018

Impressions from the fair

2018

Fossil is victorious in a nail-biter against Horizon

2018

Letter of Recommendation: 2nd and Charles

2018

Knowledge Bowl rallies in home meet

2018

Fossil Ridge releases new class schedule in wake of start time change