Lady Sabercats maintain Front Range League lead vs Loveland

Tyler●Paige Photography

Junior Sophie Hadad looks to score inside

Tyler Kleine

Friday night saw another round of league play for the Sabercats against Loveland High School. Fossil Ridge High School, coming off a dominant win against Poudre High School was looking to extend their league record to 5-0. While Loveland was looking to bounce back from their 5 point loss against Rocky Mountain High School this past Tuesday.

Indians senior guard Lexi Eberhardt would start the game off with a quick three off the tip. Two consecutive jump balls would follow off turnovers by both teams. Loveland head coach Chris Michael would call a full timeout with 6:00 minutes left in the first quarter. Senior Fossil guard Ashley Steffeck would score a quick layup off the inbounds to put the Sabercats on the board. Less than a minute later Eberhardt would convert on a baseline layup to bring the score to 2-5 Indians. At this point things between the officials and Loveland coaching staff and fans would get tense. As a couple of 50/50 calls would be met with boos from the fans. Lauren Kleine of the Sabercats would convert the putback off an offensive layup followed by a free throw from Fossil’s Kaysen Hobbs to finish the quarter 7-9 with Loveland up.

Tyler●Paige Photography
Junior Davin Tonn attempting a pass to a teammate

Junior guard for Fossil, Lexi Kohler, would score a layup to tie the game up at 9-9. Free throw woes from the first quarter would follow Fossil and continue for the rest of the game as the crowd saw only one Sabercat convert more than one at the line throughout the game. Fossil would finish the game 7-25 from the stripe. Despite this, Fossil’s defense and fast break offense seemed to be clicking when two steals from Steffeck lead to two layups from Fossil’s Hadad and Osthoff. Tensions at this point reached a boiling point which would not bode well for Coach Michael of the Indians when he was given a tech for arguing with an official. Steffeck would make both technical free throws bringing the score to 17-9 in favor of the Sabercats. Kennedy Burch of Loveland would draw a shooting foul to the pleasure of Indian fans and coaching staff and would then make both free throws. Ashley Steffeck would end the half with a elbow jumper to bring the score to 29-12.

Fossil would surge through the 3rd quarter, scoring 15 points while holding Loveland to 5. Junior guard Davin Tonn would score 8 points in a row for the Sabercats to end the 3rd quarter at 44-17.

Varsity reserves and junior varsity suitors from both teams would get an opportunity to play out the fourth quarter. Final score was 52-26 in favor of the Sabercats.

The Lady Sabercats have a home game tonight at 6:30pm.