Fossil routs Mullen in historic playoff victory

Fossil kicker Bryce Olson kicking an extra point against Fort Collins.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

Friday, November 4, 2022, will be a day to remember for Fossil Ridge football. The Sabercats defeated Mullen 45-21 to win their first ever home 5A playoff game. 

Fossil started the game off strong, forcing a fumble on Mullen’s first possession, putting them in prime position at midfield. 

The Sabercats quickly drove down the field, capping the drive off with a touchdown pass from Tyler Kubat to Trek Keyworth. 

Fossil scored another three times before half, including a pair of touchdowns. The first came on a 75 yard pass from Kubat to senior wideout Domenic Leone. The other off a short run from sophomore halfback Jake Toshcoff. 

Despite giving up a touchdown late in the half, the Sabercats were in firm control with a 24-7 lead after 24 minutes. 

Fossil Ridge opened the second half with a bang, with running back Colton Pawlak going 70 yards on the second play of the half, extending their lead to 31-7. 

The Sabercats weren’t done yet, as Kubat and Keyworth connected for another two touchdowns. 

After missing four full games with a broken collarbone, Kubat stormed back with a vengeance. In his four games back since injury, the senior quarterback has thrown for over 1,000 yards and 13 touchdowns.

“It starts with our [offensive] line up front, up in the box our QB coach, he’s a mastermind…he calls run plays, he calls pass plays, he makes everything happen,” Kubat said.

Head coach Jeff Fulton addressing the team.

Mullen responded with two touchdowns late, but it proved to be not enough, as Fossil walked away with a 45-21 victory.

This was Fossil’s first home playoff game in its 13 years as a 5A program. It also marks the Sabercats second home playoff victory, with the last one coming in 3A in 2008.

“It’s breathtaking. I love this team, we’ve been together for four years…I don’t mean to get emotional but it’s been one hell of a ride…it’s been something special,” Kubat said.

The Sabercats now look ahead to their second round matchup against the seventh ranked Regis Jesuit Raiders. The game will be Friday, November 11, 6:30 at Regis Jesuit High School.

Fossil fans cheering on their team during the Canvas Classic.