Students and their furry friends arriving to the event.
Sophie Webb

A fetching event: Walk-a-Dog-a-Thon kicks off 2 Weeks 2 Give

For the second year in a row, FRESH club threw the fun-filled Walk-a-Dog-a-Thon, the first event for 2 Weeks 2 Give. Students, teachers, parents, pedestrians, and more were able to show up and walk their dogs around Fossil Ridge High School, arrows and water bowls leading the way. 

Instead of the typical Make-a-Wish week, Fossil transferred over to 2 Weeks 2 Give, targeting multiple charities with each event instead of one. 

“We chose [this charity] because we wanted to support a local charity dedicated to sustainability,” Clara Drysdale says, a member of FRESH who threw the event.

The charity that benefited from this event was Trees, Water & People, their goal being to “protect, conserve, and manage the natural resources” (Trees, Water & People). 

“We raised money for a good cause and it seems like everybody had a good time,” Leslie Smyser says, the teacher advisor for FRESH club.

FRESH club members and teacher: Clara Drysdale, Leslie Smyser, Julia Zheng, Ryan Eisert, and Erin Padayachee standing together. (Sophie Webb)

It was free admission to attend, but to be entered into the raffle participants had to pay $5. Those who did received one raffle ticket and received another for each lap they walked. 

“We estimate having made around $200, which we find impressive for a smaller event,” Drysdale says. 

Every ten minutes the FRESH club would draw from the raffle, checking with walkers as they passed by to see if they would be the lucky winner. 

This event took place this past Tuesday, March 19 in front of Fossil at the circle from 5 till 6 p.m. During that time, both dogs and their owners were able to enjoy treats and learn more about sustainability; one of Trees, Water & People’s values. 

“I love how we get to support a local charity, Trees, Water & People, their mission is to connect people and the environment and I really stand behind that, and I hope that we help,” Drysdale says.

Erika Foerster, brought her two Yorkie puppies, Poppy and Bingham, all three appreciating the event. 

“I loved getting to see everybody’s dogs and how welcoming and fun it was,” Foerster says. 

Walk-a-Dog-a-Thon started off 2 Weeks 2 Give with an abundance of furry friends and people able to enjoy the outdoors on a sunny day. The function itself is relatively cheap to throw and the FRESH club hopes to continue this event in future years.

Editor’s Note: Changed to fix error in photo caption.