Senior Nathan Broderick who survived a heart attack. Photo by Topanga McBride

Living life to the fullest: Student survives heart attack

Senior Nathan Broderick had a 5 percent chance of surviving his heart attack on Nov. 15, 2013. Broderick was ditching advisory along with his friends, when he collapsed to the floor. Senior Cody Ridge performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on Broderick as Broderick’s other friends called 911. The ambulance was only a quarter mile away and was able to pick up Broderick quickly and take him to the nearest hospital. The hospital did what they could and then flew him to the Children’s Hospital.

Broderick is grateful for his friends’ timely actions. “I think I’ve thanked Cody Ridge multiple times, but I’d like to thank Cody Ridge again for what he has done and saving my life,” said Broderick. “I’d like to thank the other people who were at the house at the time for doing what they graciously did for me.”

Broderick’s mother was driving when his friends contacted her. The ambulance passed by her soon after, and she flipped around to follow her son in the ambulance to the hospital.

Fossil Ridge High School has AEDs around the school, but Broderick doesn’t know if anyone would have known to use it on him. Ditching class was part of what saved his life, in his opinion. “How everything just went out that day just lined up perfectly,” said Broderick. “I don’t think I would’ve gotten that care [from the school] I got right then and there. I think it would’ve taken about two, three minutes and by then it would’ve been enough; I would’ve been dead by then.”

Broderick is scheduled to have a three hour heart surgery Friday, Jan. 17, where a form of AED will be inserted into his heart in case he has another heart attack. “I get more and more nervous as the day comes,” said Broderick.

Until then, he has been wearing a portable AED vest. When it detects that Broderick is about to have a heart attack, it sounds a siren. He has informed his teachers to lay him down flat and move bystanders away, and then call 911. The vest will squirt gel and then shock his body at around 150 joules. The first shock should be enough to save him. If for some reason, the AED detects a heart attack when there is not one, Broderick can stop the vest from shocking him. However, with the new AED in his heart, he will have no warning before being shocked.

Since Broderick’s near-death experience, he does not live life the same. He sleeps up to 16 hours a day due to how tired he gets. Broderick used to go to the gym every day before his heart attack, but he is not allowed to do any physical activity until the doctor approves him to go. “When the doctor says I’m clear to go to the gym, that day he says it, I’m going to the gym,” said Broderick.

Also, Broderick has noticed different treatment towards him. “People always come up and ask me the story and I just tell them what I remember,” said Broderick. “It’s changed my whole personality after this whole even because I’m more grateful and thankful every day I’m able to stand on this earth than I used to be.”

Even though Broderick almost died, he sees this experience as a good one. “I don’t throw myself to the wind and see how it goes,” said Broderick. “I take every day like it’s my last because it could be my last day.”

$100
$1000