OPINION: Wednesday Night Live brings laughs and bores

Wednesday Night Live, commonly referred to as WNL, has been a Fossil Ridge High School tradition for several years. Put on by the Student Council, WNL is a night of Saturday Night Live type skits aimed for entertainment and hilarity. This year’s installment definitely had some skits to mention.

While last year’s event brought more laughs (and more of an audience) this year had some funny skits, and some definite flops. Many skits were repeated from last year, such as “Can I Have Your Number?” and “Ew!” and while still amusing, didn’t quite hit the mark of the actors’ portrayal in previous years.

Skits that gained the most laughs were “Can I Have Your Number?”, “Ew!” and “Stuart Goes to the Therapist”. No less sincere in personality, the actors in these skits are took the jokes and the hilarious antics of their characters to another level. Easily heard, ludicrous accents and expressive facial countenances created an aura of hilarity.

Flops were definitely “School Visit”, “Phobia Party” and “Girlfriend Talk Show”. Beyond the stale voices and stiff, nervous acting; these skits were themselves relatively not entertaining and the jokes fell short of their mark. Some new skits and different characters may have been a good remedy for the issue, and hopefully will be considered next year.

However, it would be even more enjoyable if other students were involved in the skits. Understandably SNL is produced by a set cast with actors showing up in multiple skits throughout one show. But it would be great to see other students show their funny side and be up performing hilarious skits besides just the StuCo students.

Undoubtedly senior, and Student Body President, Chinmay Pandit was the star of the show. Appearing in “Can I Have Your Number?”, “Pizza Delivery” and some other skits, his character’s demeanor and overall acting was superb, and hilarious. “[I liked] either ‘What’s Your Number?’ or the ‘Pizza Delivery’ one because they got really into character plus the way they talked in each of them was really funny,” senior Asia Zabala said. “I liked Chinmay’s acts because he stuck to his characters really well.” The facial expressions, and moreover their countenances and character’s actions, made these skits hits. “I liked ‘What’s Your Number?’ because they really took on their characters.” senior Valerie Crouse said.

“Stuart Goes to the Therapist” starring senior Ryan Baeverstad (Stuart), junior Lindsey Feuer (mother) and senior Brooks Hoffman (therapist) was ludicrously funny in the disjointed relationship between a son (Stuart) and his mother seeing a therapist. Baeverstad’s ridiculously high voice (and shorts) had people rolling with laughter as he tripped, kicked and pouted on the stage. When his mother gave him Oreos to calm him down, Hoffman attempted to take them away as Baeverstad responded, “Do you wanna lose that hand?” The antics of messed up families-classic.

“Ew!” performed by Fisher Layden (sophomore), Even Flint (sophomore) and Dylan Harris (sophomore) depicted the stereotypical actions of tweens: EVERYTHING is gross. Freshman Layden was hilarious as he portrayed a sassy tween talking about all things “ew”. Best quote? “It’s gonna be a lot of ew!” brought side-gripping laughs.

Overall the night was enjoyable even if it didn’t live up to last year’s performances. The skits that were hilarious and those that flopped balanced out for some live entertainment on Wednesday night. Moving to next year there are high hopes and expectations for the performance, and anticipation for some new innovative skits and different actors.