Editor’s Note: The Incognito Freshmen

I would like to give a warm welcome to all of the incoming freshmen to Fossil Ridge High School this year.  For the first time in three years, you guys are now the new kids.  The youngsters.  The undiscovered incognitos.

Over these next four years, everything about you is going to change, from the inside to the out.  You’re going to grow, not only height-wise, but as a person in general.  You’re going to figure out interests, start practicing what you like and, hopefully, figure out what you want to do in college and years beyond.  And don’t be surprised when you’re a junior or senior that your favorite college when you’re 18 definitely wasn’t your favorite college when you were 14.

You’re one in 2,000 here at Fossil.  The contrast from middle school to high school is a sharp one.  Pay attention to your interests and stick with them.  It’s very easy to “go through the motions” in high school.  Don’t be that kid.  And don’t take crap from anyone.  There’s always been a negative stigma associated with the “new kids”.  And, most of the time, with the freshmen class in general.  Be bigger than that nonsensical stereotype. 

So here’s to the freshmen.  To the curious, the bright and, sometimes, the slightly delusional.  You’re going to have a great year.  Feast on your delightful delusion and figure out who you are and what you want to be.  Contrary to popular belief, that’s what high school is here for.  I’m excited to see how you undiscovered youngsters become the next generation of discovered adults. 

Welcome to FRHS!

Ethan S. Dayton

EDITOR IN CHIEF

PS: To the sophomores, juniors and seniors.  As you may have noticed, Etched in Stone has transitioned from print to screen over the past few months.  Our new online edition offers in-depth breaking news coverage, up-to-date sports scores and analysis, and nearly everything else Ridge.  Welcome to Etched In Stone Online. Enjoy.

*Editor’s Notes are published the first and third Friday of every month, as well as the Friday that an issue is released.