How to become American

How to become American

As an exchange student from France, I have always thought that American people were interesting and I have always wanted to be like them. When I was younger I was watching youtube videos made by American high schoolers and everything they were doing seemed like the perfect life to me. So when I got here, I started doing what I could to become as American as possible.

Here are the steps on how to become American:

1. Buy a water bottle and put stickers on it.

One of the only things all the students have in common here is a water bottle that they carry everywhere. We are not allowed to drink water or any beverage in class, so it took me a few weeks to understand the point of having a water bottle at school. Especially because in France we are not allowed to drink or eat in class.  Anyway, I ended up buying one and looking for stickers to put on it. It’s the first thing to do to Americanize your lifestyle.

am4
A water bottle with fun stickers on it. Photo Credit: Emilie Babkine

2) Eat snacks.

Food is an important part of the American culture, one of the most important ones. American people do not only eat during  meals, they snack. I feel like they all have a little bag of goldfish or some nuts in a plastic bag for when they are hungry. So, if you want to be a part of America, start buying snacks at the grocery store and eat them all day long.

am3
Jesse Goldstone and her goldfish. Photo Credit: Emilie Babkine

3) Get a car for your 16th birthday.

A major difference between France and the United States is the age people get their licence at. Here, almost everyone gets their license when they turn 16 years old and they also usually get a car.  There, most people do not drive until they are above 20 years old and getting a car is even more uncommon. So I would say that one of the things you could do is getting your license and begging your parents for a car.

4) Wear casual outfits to school.

If you want to feel like a true american, especially a high school girl, wear really casual outfits to school. The main items to get are yoga pants, UGG boots, high socks, birkenstocks and a big sweatshirt. Then, wear comfy pieces of clothing and look like you just got out of bed. Your makeup and hair are up to you, they can either be fancy or under a cap.

am2
Taylor Harris in her comfy clothes. Photo Credit: Emilie Babkine

5) Drink a lot of coffee.

Not everybody drinks coffee, but I have noticed that getting a Starbucks during the day or just bringing a thermos to school is a thing here. Do not forget to add whipped cream, sugar and a flavor to it. So even if you don’t care for this drink, get yourself together and try it. You might like it after all.

am
Katie Doing with her coffee mug. Photo Credit: Emilie Babkine

So follow these easy steps and you will become as American as possible.