Softball advances to State

The Sabercats prepare to bat

Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

The Fossil Ridge High School Varsity Softball team went 2-0 at their regional tournament last weekend. The Sabercats defeated Rampart High School 19-4 and Arapahoe High School 1-0. The first game served as a warmup for the girls, ensuring they would beat Arapahoe.

The game against Rampart was a whirlwind start to finish. The first point was scored near the bottom of the first inning when Kate Delaney hit a sacrifice fly for Reed to score. Then the points continued to roll in, as absolutely nothing was going right for Rampart. The entire game was dominated by Fossil, earning the chance to play Arapahoe shortly after.

The game against Arapahoe High School was a much better match for the Sabercats. The game was intense, as it was only a one-run game. At the bottom of the third inning, Mercado slapped to the shortstop for a single. Delaney took a ball to the shoulder to get on, and Senior Mia Moddelmog smashed a pop fly into left field for the run. The score remained 1-0 before the remainder of the game. The Sabercats fought hard and never allowed Arvada a scoring opportunity.

Come support the Fossil softball team this next Friday and Saturday in Aurora Sports Park in their state competition. Good luck Sabercats!